Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lynnie81
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,021
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad T420 touchpad issue

I just bought a refurbished ThinkPad T420. A friend of mine said it had a good spec so I was looking forward to having a play around. Right from the minute I switched it on there was a problem. The touchpad and mouse are not working. The only way to use the mouse is via the track point (is that the right term?) and I hate it! It's way too fiddly. So I tried fn and F8... it doesn't work. I've tried rebooting and enabling the touchpad in the BIOS it doesn't work. I've deleted drivers. Still nothing. I've installed new drivers. Many tutorials say you can fix it using device manager, mouse etc. But the tab the recommend you choose is not there. I installed new drivers from synaptics and it says there is no synsptics device found. I am honestly going insane! Something that should be so simple and it's so awkward! Forgive me because I'm half asleep but I should mention when I first tried to fix it the tab in mouse properties that everyone says I should use (ultra something) well it was there. But when I tried to click any of the options on that tab I was kicked out and got an error messsge. Now that tab no longer appears. It's running on windows 10. I'm ready for launching it out the window. Help!
Guru
Views: 1,944
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad T420 touchpad issue

Congrats on your T420. They are nice machines. I'm sorry to hear about your issue. Hopefully, a few little things will solve it. 

1. Make sure it is enabled in BIOS.
  2. Make sure all drivers are updated from both Windows Update & Lenovo System Update. (reboot as necessary)
  3. Confirm that Device Manager does not have any devices marked as not working correctly.
  4. Go Mouse Settings
  5. Click "Additional mouse options"
  6. Make sure "Enable TouchPad" is clicked (mine is grayed out because I have it turned off in my BIOS)

Let me know if you have any issues. I suggest connecting an external USB mouse, if you have one, to the computer to decrease your aggravation level while you work on the issue. If none of that works, I would contact the people that you purchased the refurbished ThankPad through. The TouchPad part may not be functioning. 

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Lynnie81
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,937
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad T420 touchpad issue

Yeh did all those things and its still not working. Very frustrating. Looks like it's going back to the supplier. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors