cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarrySeaward
Paper Tape
Views: 866
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad T430 completely freezes intermittently on a specific network.

I got a used ThinkPad T430 a few days ago and it has been totally flawless except for this one issue. The night I got it, everything went fine. Then the next morning I went to a coffee shop near my house and it started freezing up. The freezes happen every 20 minutes or so and they last about 1 - 3 minutes. While it's happening, absolutely nothing responds. No mouse, no CTRL+ALT+DEL, no WinKey+L, nothing. Then once the freezing ends, the laptop registers all the key presses at once.

At first I noticed that a couple rogue Windows processes involved with Windows Update were using 100% of my disk. I figured that was the cause of the freezing. I manually downloaded the 900MB update that was apparently stuck for some reason and installed it, and the disk usage went back to normal. Then I went back to the coffee shop the next morning and the freezing continued.

I figured it had to be a disk issue regardless because it was the original hard drive with 300+ power-on days (despite the disk SMART health being seemingly fine) so I bought an SSD and replaced it. I reinstalled Windows and everything seemed a-okay.

Well today I went back to the coffee shop again and used the laptop for a few hours without any problems. Then I noticed I was still on my home network, because it stretches to the coffee shop. Well, I switched to the coffee shop network and after about 10 minutes, the laptop froze once again. I think this is proof enough that the cause of the freezes are coming from being connected to that specific network. It has never once happened while I'm connected to my home network, and I've used my home network about 95% of the time. It also tells me that the hard drive wasn't the cause and that there was nothing wrong with my Windows installation. These two networks are also the only two I've ever used with this laptop so far, so I'm not able to test if this issue happens on any *other* networks. I'm in a very small town and this coffee shop is the only place with public wifi.

So other than those couple things I've ruled out, I'm not sure how else to diagnose the problem. I've combed through Event Viewer and can't seem to find anything out of the ordinary that matches up with the timing of the freezes. If any of you guys could tell me where to check for a specific log that would be great.

I've updated my wireless drivers and other than that, I'm stumped. I know a fair bit about common PC issues and how to solve them, and even generally how to troubleshoot issues I've never encountered before, but I've never encountered something like this. I've never heard of a wireless issue like this just completely freezing an entire computer for several minutes.

Here (http://imgur.com/a/aXzf7) are screenshots from the Event Viewer. The screenshots in order are from:

- Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application
- Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System
- Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Security

Those are the only events I could find that correlated with the timing of the freeze, which was about 2:21pm. Please let me know if you guys could like to see details from any of these if that would help.

I am at the coffee shop very frequently, so I would appreciate any advice on how I may be able to figure this one out.

Thanks!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 843
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad T430 completely freezes intermittently on a specific network.

A good virus scan would be a good idea...perhaps the network at the coffee shop more open and is allowing something to run that cannot at your home.     

I would also consider using a small program called Procces Monitor from Microsoft's Sysinternals site.   When you set the program to capture, it will keep a running log of all of all processes that run/start/stop until you stop the capture, and has a few neat tools to summarize the data afterwards.    If you can capture a log during the time the system freezes, you might be able to identify the culprit.

A couple of other tools that might help from Microsoft's Sysinternals are Process Explorer and Autoruns.    They do not keep running logs, but they might help you locate some rogue application or scheduled task.

Note:   Be sure to make a System Restore Point prior to messing around disabling services etc. using AutoRuns, and and keep good notes on what you disable.   

Windows® Sysinternals Administrator’s Reference (Instructions on how to use Microsoft's Sysinternal tools)

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/-/9780735662728

Good Luck,

HarrySeaward
Paper Tape
Views: 811
Message 3 of 5

I downloaded Process Monitor and let it run while there was a freeze. Then I filtered the events so I now have a log that spans one minute, the minute during which the freeze occurred. Howevvver, that sixty second log contains exactly 60,735 'events'. Roughly 1,000 events for every second. So I have a lot of data here, but I haven't the slightest clue of what exactly to look for. The vast, vast majority of these events are gibberish me.

So, uh, any advice on how to comb through 60,000 events in the span of one minute to find the exact one that is causing me such trouble lol?

HarrySeaward
Paper Tape
Views: 807
Message 4 of 5

Actually, I just noticed that there is a gap in the events from 2:33:35 until 2:34:08. The freeze took place at 2:33 and there is a 33 second gap here. The freeze was definitely longer than 33 seconds, but I suppose this gives me a place to start searching. I still don't have the SLIGHTEST idea on what I'm searching for though, and could really use some pointers.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 798
Message 5 of 5

It is a bit tricky, but if you save the Logfile.PML, zip it up (requred to attach in this forum) and attach to a reply and I will try to take a look at it later tonight.   Please include the approximate time when the freeze occured too, as that will help greatly in narroing it down, and filtering the events.

Cheers. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors