Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
theGander
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,058
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad T440s - refresh windows 10

i've got a T440s that was upgraded to windows 10 about 6 months ago. after installing a new brother printer yesterday, the machine won't boot any more; it just goes directly to automatic repair, then diagnostics, neither of which help. i tried several system restore points, but sr always fails telling me it can't copy the registry.

i ran the lenovo hardware diagnostics which fails in the targeted read test of the hard drive with bad sectors. i am backing up all the data (which is on the solid-state drive ?) manually from the cli prompt (that still works) before i do anything else. next planned step is to run the bad sectors tool). i'm wondering if the bad sectors are where the registry (or its backup) is stored, and if so, then will "fixing" the bad sectors destroy the registry to the point where i need to do a refresh.

this is the first time i've dealt with a system with a hybrid drive (ssd for start-up & os, hd for storage. since it was originally a windows 8.1 machine will running the refresh put back windows 10, and if so, will it know where to write the refreshed os files to the ssd and hd?

*** edit *** forgot to mention that the s.m.a.r.t portion of the diagnostics says the drive is fine. ***

all suggestions appreciated.

ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 1,008
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad T440s - refresh windows 10

It does sounds like a corrupt drive. You might want to try SpinRite from grc.com. It has its detractors and enthusiasts, but I think your chances are pretty good with it. (I have no affiliation)

theGander
Fanfold Paper
Views: 998
Message 3 of 5

tx, i'll take a look at it,

hhmcsv
Blue Screen Again
Views: 987
Message 4 of 5

I had a similar fault situation with not being able to start. And the repair-functions did not give a result. Lenovo support assumed that it was a Windows-problem (Smiley Wink) but the only solution was to do a fresh install of Windows 10 using the MCT from Microsoft website. Before that, I took the HDD out of the T440, mounted it in at usb-enclosure and copied all my files as a backup.

After the fresh install, the T440 has been running fine -and no activation problems!

What caused the fault? -----no idea Smiley Mad

Hans-Henrik
T440 20B7-S0HN00 replacing T60 2007-VPX CoreDuo T2400 1,83GHz, ATI x1300 SXGA+, Win8.1 Pro, 4Gb RAM (=3), Kingston SSDNow V200 128GB, MS Office 2007, OpenOffice. 3 more T60 in family - all now running Windows 10
theGander
Fanfold Paper
Views: 959
Message 5 of 5

i'm not sure what causes these things, but in the end i decided (since i had a complete data backup) to run the thinkpad bad sector tool. it fixed the bad sectors, managed to retrieve enough of whatever was stored there so i could run system restore, and now the laptop works again.

who knows?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors