DE

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 1

ThinkPad T460 restarts repeatedly, black screen

2020-01-04, 17:04 PM

Hi everyone,

today i got a used T460 and haven't succeeded in getting it to work yet. When i press the powerbutton, it will spin the hardrive, the powerbutton will light up and one can see, that the screen changes to a darker black, than if the machine would be turned off entirely. The harddrive will spin and the powerbutton will light up for about 20 seconds (i actually timed it and it were 22 +/- seconds), then turn off (harddrive not spinning, dark powerbutton) and start back up. This repeats in a loop, but it won't ever power up. The seller told me, that it isn't a liquid-damage and after opening the device up, i couldn't see any signs of that either.

I tried several things, getting it to work:

• Connect to external screen to validate, that the internal screen isn't broken. External monitor didn't receive any signal.
  • Measured the voltage of the CMOS-battery, which was at 3V. That is the nominal voltage for a CR2032.
  • Unplug several components and see if that makes a difference
    • RAM: Laptop beeps 7 times (3x, pause, 3x, pause, 1x) as usual, if RAM is not present
    • HDD: Made no difference at all
  • Repaste the CPU
  • Format the HDD (Contained an unencrypted Win7 installation).

Now i'm pretty much out of ideas what to try next. The bottom housing of the device is slightly bent, but i didn't notice any cracks on the motherboard.

Also, here is some video-footage of the defect:

Go to https://youtu.be/iW8SL4GrWfc

I have only opened up the chassis and played around with what is visible from there. Have you ever encountered anything similar or can point me to where i can look next?

Thanks in advance!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete