Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajbz47
Blue Screen Again
Views: 718
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad T460s Battery Issues after BIOS Upgrade

After upgrading the BIOS, I am having an issue with my battery.

I finally got around to troubleshooting an outstanding issue with my RAM (It was maxing out at 10 of my 20gb of RAM), I found that updating my BIOS resolved the issue. I purchased the laptop in May 2016, and this was the first time I had updated my BIOS. I used Lenovo Solution Center / Vantage to run the updates. I updated my BIOS to N1CET68W (6/20/18).

After updating the BIOS to solve one issue, it caused another. One of my batteries no longer works. Here's some additional details..

While troubleshooting I ran battery report, and I don't think it is a coincidence that the date I updated the BIOS on is also the date at which one of my batteries stopped working - Attached with a line drawn for when I updated the BIOS.

My battery now caps out at 62%. Battery 1: 68% and charging. Battery 2: 0%. Battery 2 will not charge any more.

Battery 1: 00HW022, Sanyo. Design Capacity: 23510 mWh, full charge capacity: 17840mWh (Acceptable degradation for 2 year old battery)

Battery 2: 01AV406, SMP. Design Capacity: 26060 mWh, full charge capacity: 1770mWh (Significant drop-off once BIOS updated).

I have already performed laptop surgery and made sure both batteries are connected. Unplugged both of them, and hard reset my laptop (holding power button for ~2 minutes with batteries out). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and then updating them.

Windows 10 x64. 

vegan-fanatic
Token Ring
Views: 684
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad T460s Battery Issues after BIOS Upgrade

Some BIOS ROMs released actually have downgraded memory. I have seen that on more than a few machines.

You should by convention use RAM in pairs of the same make/model so that memory will run in dual channel mode with more aggregate bandwidth.

DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4 are all the same, use them in pairs

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional
ajbz47
Blue Screen Again
Views: 677
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad T460s Battery Issues after BIOS Upgrade

My problem is not the RAM. The RAM was fixed after upgrading the BIOS. I can now use all 20gb.

My new problem is that upgrading the BIOS has broken one of my batteries.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors