cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackOneil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,390
Message 1 of 14

ThinkPad T470 is stuck on black screen after Lenovo logo screen and before BIOS password

Hi,

i have Lenovo ThinkPad T470 (LENOVO 20HD0002MC) and recently has started a strange problem:

While booting at first Lenovo logo shows up (where you can get to BIOS by Enter key) and right after screen goes black. When i power down laptop and boot again (sometime few times) intead of the black screen there is a prompt for Bios password, like it should have and booting continues to OS.

Enter key for BIOS doesnt work while it slill get stuck on black screen just right before it loads the BIOS (after trying few times with power -off/on it gets to BIOS and i can boot normally)

I have BIOS firmware updated to the latest version, so as well drivers for hardware.

Im not aware of any change that could potentionally start this issue, maybe after updating bios to some newer version.

Otherwise im using Windows 10 with latest updates, but i dont think this could cause the issue as its way before windows loading.

Thanks for the help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,371
Message 2 of 14

Re: ThinkPad T470 is stuck on black screen after Lenovo logo screen and before BIOS password

It sounds like something is timing out or there is a memory problem.  I would run a memory test first.  I like memtest86+ but the one built into windows or the ThinkPad diagnostics are fine.  I would run CrystalDiskInfo (freeware) and see what it thinks of the drive.  Are you still under warranty?  If yes, call support.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Didier_J
Punch Card
Views: 1,363
Message 3 of 14

Re: ThinkPad T470 is stuck on black screen after Lenovo logo screen and before BIOS password

I don't think there is a problem with the memory. Because updating the firmware is done from within Windows it will never work when passwords are set. If you set a BIOS password, and set that the system could only load when entering the password, you will be promted to enter the password before the Lenovo logo shows up. Perhaps he could allow firmware flashback, and retry.

Mr not sir
JackOneil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,334
Message 4 of 14

Hi,

thank you both for the answers. I just ran all the tests in Lenovo Vantage tool and all were completed without an error. Crystal Disk Mark as well. Didier_J, what did you mean by firmware flashback ? Like downgrade few versions down ?

Otherwise i think i should have warranty, so i could contact Lenovo support with this issue, just thought that if someone else is having the same issue here could help because my colleague who has the same laptop is having exactely the same issue as me.

Thanks.

Didier_J
Punch Card
Views: 1,331
Message 5 of 14

Yes back flash it's called if available. Or see what happens if you temporarly disable the password.

Mr not sir
hyvokar
Punch Card
Views: 1,241
Message 6 of 14

Hi, 

Did you get this resolved?

I have a simila problem. When I power our employee's T470, I see the Lenovo logo and then screen goes black. Does not matter if the laptop is connected to docking unit or external monitor. 

Most likely this is a driver/win10 issue, since I can boot to safe mode and recovery mode. 

We dont have BIOS passwords set.

hyvokar
Punch Card
Views: 1,232
Message 7 of 14

This seems to be definitely HD Graphics driver issue. In safe mode, if I remove the HD620 device and reboot, I get normal windows loading screen, until the HD620 driver loads again. Then it's all black again.

I removed the driver completely (ver. 24.20.100.6223) and rebooted, old version (23.20.16.4873) was automatically installed and seems to be working.

I will update the driver just to see, if the newer driver was somehow corrupted.
Didier_J
Punch Card
Views: 1,231
Message 8 of 14

I was wrong with my post. However I found something in a manual from an AMI BIOS on a ASUS motherboard.

AboutAPW.png

Did you got a firmware or something? I had the same thing with this laptop when I just bought it, there were driverupdates but Vantage pushed me to a firmware update. I opened a topic about that AHCI / Intel RST Premium issue. So I set BIOS and HDD passwords. I wrote the HDD password on paper before altering it, entered it twice and now it says wrong password.

Maybe Microsoft is asking to much when you know who wants to take a look at your files, and some OEM not.

Same thing over here with an ISP that likes to do business with some AV-company. And when I asked them if in the nearby future I get an AV-choice screen (you know like choose browserscreen) so I can choose from another AV-supplier I get no answer. And when I starup my laptop with internet connection I have to wait 5 min until that scanner is finished before I can even use it. Windows already comes with a basic protecting. And when I set Windows defender to scan periodicly next to that AV-scanner they don't like that.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Mr not sir
hyvokar
Punch Card
Views: 1,230
Message 9 of 14

Same problem, when I reinstall 24.20.100.6223 driver. We are running win10 pro 1803 x64.
JackOneil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,163
Message 10 of 14

I havent found fix for this yet, but i dont think its widnows related as i cant even get to BIOS when this happens. After few shutdowns / starts of the laptop it prompt for password and everything is ok until next start. (restarts are ok, but shutdown and start next day isnt)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors