01-09-2019

US

2 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 1 of 2

ThinkPad T480 - Bitlocker Reboot Loop

2019-01-09, 17:22 PM

I have a T480 with a NVMe SSD running Windows 10 Pro.  I would like to encrypt the drive, so I turned on BitLocker.  It has a TPM chip, so I am not prompted for a password.  It enables fine, and I leave it on to finish the encryption, after returning to the machine it has rebooted itself and is stuck not being able to boot, without recognizing the SSD at all.  If I power the machine off and start again, it boots fine.  I login and bitlocker encryption is still in progress.  The process repeats several times until BitLocker finishes encyrption.  Occasionally there is a BSOD in the mix.  I'm not getting a lot of warm fuzzies about BitLocker at this point and am inclined to just turn it off until I can find a better solution.  Is this expected behavior or is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance,

David

Options

2 Posts

01-09-2019

US

2 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: ThinkPad T480 - Bitlocker Reboot Loop

2019-01-10, 16:46 PM

Apparently, using a hardware encryption with Bitlocker is not a good idea anymore (as of 11/2018, not sure if that has been resolved or not), so I decided to turn off Bitlocker and research other software options.  Same process as during encryption.  Computer locked up completely once, BSODed another time, and rebooted itself.  The latter two both ended up with the computer not recognizing the SSD.  After holding down the power button to power off, it booted normally.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save