Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
victorgolf
Paper Tape
Views: 1,752
Message 1 of 10

ThinkPad T520 - Win7 x64 not installable under UEFI-Bios

Two month I got the  T520 (4240CTO) with preinstalled Win7 x64 under the old BIOS - that means with MBR-formatted harddisk, which I splitted into 3 partitions. Now I´d like to take advantage of the new UEFI-Bios. I installed the latest version (8AET51WW -1.31) and changed the boot options to uefi only. On startup I pressed F10. The Lenovo Recovery DVD is not even recognized, when starting with an original Win7 x64 DVD I get the message "Press any key to start the DVD", next an infinite loop begins but not the setup/install process. With the bios set to legacy or both the setup starts, but then I still get an MBR formattet slower system.

I tried to get help via the german support hotline -with an support employee who barely spoke German- but the only thing I was told to do was: "When starting press F10". Good service??

What do I have to do to get Win7 x64 installed under UEFI? Or is it not possible even with the original MS-DVD?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,741
Message 2 of 10

Re: ThinkPad T520 - Win7 x64 not installable under UEFI-Bios

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The KB says you can install Win 7 64-bit once you set the BIOS to UEFI mode only:- http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion-Knowledge/What-is-UEFI-and-when-was-it-introduced-on-...

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

victorgolf
Paper Tape
Views: 1,726
Message 3 of 10

Hi Maliha,

may be I misunderstood you: "I only can install Win7 x64 under UEFI ONCE?" That would be crazy. I read your link but there was nothing written about that. But nevertheless the installation did not work at first try. The installation from DVD did not start; it always went into o loop. My be there is a bug in the UEFI-Bios.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,716
Message 4 of 10

No, you can install Windows on your system unlimted number of times as long as you've a valid license. Once is a conjunction in my sentence, it means "When".

So the installation worked on the second try?

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

camoh
Serial Port
Views: 1,711
Message 5 of 10

Lenovo Tech support told me some time ago that the Recovery DVD's do not support UEFI yet, but they are working on it. I haven't checked back into this lately. The options are to have UEFI/GPT and a clean Windows install or BIOS/MBR and a "clean" Lenovo installation. Here's a link to my earlier post on this topic - http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T420s-and-Enhanced-Experience-2-0/m-p/423145...

~camoh

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,707
Message 6 of 10

If you want UEFI Windows then you'll need to install Win7 64-bit yourself from the Microsoft installation DVD.  You will not be able to use the Lenovo recovery disks to install Windows in UEFI mode.  And Lenovo will not ever be making UEFI recovery disks for the current generation of thinkpads like T520.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion-Knowledge/What-is-UEFI-and-when-was-it-introduced-on-...

victorgolf
Paper Tape
Views: 1,684
Message 7 of 10

That is what i thought. But a clean installation with an original MS-DVD does not work. I always get into an infinite loop. The DVD is recognized by UEFI, then you see press any key to start from DVD and the DVD starts spinning, next UEFI asks where to start from and so on.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,678
Message 8 of 10

I know it works.  Exactly which DVD are you using?

Iucounu
Punch Card
Views: 1,673
Message 9 of 10

More importantly, why not abandon UEFI since its sole benefit appears to be shaving a negligible several seconds off your boot time, and it entails numerous drawbacks on the current generation of hardware?

victorgolf
Paper Tape
Views: 1,649
Message 10 of 10

I tried an original MS Win7 x64 Pro build date April 2010 and a downloaded version from last month. Both go into the above stated loop.

But nevertheless it just was worth a try. I stay with the old BIOS it seem to be stabler.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors