Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmcc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 372
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad T560 Fingerprint Sensor Issue

When I run my finger across the fingerprint sensor, the light is disabled as my finger gets close to the sensor.  Its almost as though it is detecting the change in the light.  I don't know if this is normal, but the end result is that upon swiping a finger, it does not read it and thus cannot be used.  Periodically, the light will stay on and Windows Hello will have no reaction.  Other times, ocassionally, when the finger is rolled to one side, then it flash orange and say it cannot read it.

I get the impression that a USB reset is occuring.  Is there any tool to check the fingerprint sensor?  Or does anyone have any ideas?

mmcc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 332
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad T560 Fingerprint Sensor Issue

Here is the driver details:

Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=0017)

Synaptics FP Sensors

23/05/2017

Given the date of the driver and when this problem actually emerged, it was also an issue with the previous version to.

mmcc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 328
Message 3 of 5

Checking the event viewer, I think I have narrowed the issue down.  A portion of the stack fails to load for the device and it seems the whole thing falls over.  I stll don't see how this would cause the fingerprint reader to detect the presence of a finger and shut itself off, unless it was loading something specific at that time.

Service Control Manager - 7034
The BiometricSensorDataSynchronization service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Kernel-PnP - 219
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_138A&PID_0017\2f4d46dae555.

mmcc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 322
Message 4 of 5

This seems to be a long running issue which is repeatedly fixed, then broken again.  With updates coming from Microsoft, rather than the manufacturer of the Fingerprint reader.

It is kind of concerning that something related to secure authentication seems to be periodically sabotaged.  I mean, how many times can one company keep making a similar class of errors in such a small piece of code?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/The-driver-WUDFRd-failed-to-load/td-p/489887

mmcc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 316
Message 5 of 5

On attempting to setup a Windows Hello, after clicking Get Started and entering a pin.  The start swiping box appears.  The fingerprint reader is disabled at this point, only to active after about 30 seconds with a brief flash of orange indicating a failed read.  It then switches to green, as the finger is brought close to the reader, the light disables for the duration of the swipe only to return to green when the finger is removed.  Very periodically will it flash orange indicating a failed read.

This seems like very specific behaviour, one designed to work around Microsoft's methods of gaining feedback from the device.  Its almost like the behaviour of the circuit has been altered to approximate an error.  There are 3 methods to do this depending on design.  The first would be a modified driver, the second would be modified firmware and the final approach is highly specific form of electrical interference designed to re-write signals at the board level.

This needs explored further.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors