Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CalinTamaian
Paper Tape
Views: 64,309
Message 1 of 13

ThinkPad with 2 external monitors

Hello, 

I am trying to connect 2 external monitors to my docking station via DP and DVI. 

Configuration: 

Laptop: T450 (intel 5500) 

Docking Station: ThinkPad PRO 40A1 

External monitor available connections: VGA,DVI,HDMI

What works:

laptop screen + external monitor via VGA + monitor screen via DVI (pasive) 

laptop screen + external monitor via VGA + monitor screen via DP - HDMI cable

laptop screen + external monitor via VGA + monitor screen via DP - DVI cable (active) 

What do I want to achieve:

laptop screen + external monitor via DP-HDMI / DP-DVI + monitor screen via DVI 

Basically I don't want VGA because I have a bad output (the image is a bit blury and after 8 hours of working it can be tiresome). 

Any tips/ Hints? 

Thank you.

CalinTamaian
Paper Tape
Views: 64,255
Message 2 of 13

Re: ThinkPad with 2 external monitors

Is there any update on this? 

Thank you.

Lenovo Employee kim_lenovo
Lenovo Employee
Views: 64,249
Message 3 of 13

Hello Calin. This is Kimberly from Lenovo customer experience team. I am very sorry that you are having an issue. I worked with our accessories team, and if we understand the information above correctly, we believe what you need is a DP/HDMI converter. Below is the link to the Germany Lenovo.com website with the piece that you need. Please take a look and let me know if this doesn't solve your problem.
Lenovo Employee
Views: 64,245
Message 4 of 13

Just realized my link to the connector did not post.  Here it is: 

http://shop.lenovo.com/de/de/itemdetails/0B47395/460/D9D7E3B5E92F40DD9D2CF85459B8AFCB

CalinTamaian
Paper Tape
Views: 64,206
Message 5 of 13

Hello Kimberly, 

Thank you for the reply! 

I've tried different approaches: 

Situation 1

- Connection 1 : DVI output from Docking station , DVI input on monitor (DVI - DVI cable) 

- Connection 2 : DP output from Docking station ,  HDMI input on monitor (DP - HDMI cable ; this is  the same as the solution you propose) 

Situation 2 

- Connection 1 : DVI output from Docking station , DVI input on monitor (DVI - DVI cable) 

- Connection 2 : DP output from Docking station ,  DVI input on monitor (DP- DVI cable )

No joy. It seems that I cannot use DVI and DP output at the same time; no matter what. The video card should support 3 monitors according to specs. If I  understand the docking station specs properly; the DVI and DP connection is not shared (e.g. the same wires split to both different connectors). 

We are a few people with this problem in the office (engineers / designers; more monitors are needed). We all have the same version of laptops and docking station. 

Any hints / tips are welcomed. 

Calin

Lenovo Employee
Views: 64,196
Message 6 of 13

Hello Calin. Below is a useful link to explain multi monitor support for docks. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd029622
DP and DVI cannot output at the same time in ThinkPad Pro Dock. The ThinkPad Ultra dock could be a better option for your video output needs.
WayneAtUM
What's DOS?
Views: 53,365
Message 7 of 13

My boss has a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s and a Thinkpad Pro Docking Station. I recently upgraded the laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I had some difficulty getting my monitors to work. Monitor 1 was connected via VGA, and Monitor 2 was connected via DVI. I found that only the VGA monitor would show if the laptop were docked with the laptop screen closed. The DVI would not get a signal. If I opened the laptop screen while docked, I could set Monitor 1 (VGA) to be an extension of the laptop screen. I swapped out the DVI cable with a Displayport cable, and voila everything worked. 

Well, almost everything. Now my boss has noticed that the VGA monitor is more blurry than the DP monitor. That's the next hurdle...

I wish I had found the following webpage *before* before buying the Pro docking station. It says that our particular model T450s will only support dual displays with VGA and either DP or DVI. I would have dished out the extra $30 bucks to get the Ultra model which has dual DP support. :-(

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd029622

surxenberg
What's DOS?
Views: 45,540
Message 8 of 13

If you need dual digitial monitors and use the Pro Dock, you can connect 1 monitor on the dock and another one on the ThinkPad's DP connector. works for me. it's a bit annoying as I have to plug in the DP cable every time I dock my ThinkPad but it beats getting eye cancer from VGA.

lwainwright0870
What's DOS?
Views: 39,811
Message 9 of 13

I am having difficulty getting the DVI port to recognize my Acer monitor. I am running Windows 10 Pro with a T440 in the ThinkPad Pro dock.  Can you assist me in enabling the DVI-D?

MitchellYCohen
What's DOS?
Views: 39,673
Message 10 of 13

My T460 has HDMI output & the ThinkPad Pro Dock has VGA, DVI, & DisplayPort.  The least expensive monitors have VGA & DVI input.  I don't want to use VGA.

I'm hoping that I can use the HDMI output with a HDMI to DVI cable for monitor 1 & DVI output on the ThinkPad Pro Dock with a DVI to DVI cable for monitor 2.  Do you think that will work?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors