cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ben_myers
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,944
Message 1 of 5

ThinkVantage System Update 5.05 causes Windows 7 Windows Update to fail and inhibits IE downloads

I refurbished a Thinkpad T400 (2.2GHz dual core, 8GB memory, 320GB HDD) with Windows 7 x64, installing the OS, applying 150+ updates, then I installed ThinkVantage System Update 5.05 and allowed it to download and install updates for all the drivers in the system.  When I next went to Windows Update to download more updates, it did not allow me to do so, stating that the update service was not started.  Well, the update service and the RPC service on which it relies WERE started in the list of services.  Windows event files showed some errors, but I was unable to trace them back to Thinkvantage Update.  I tried the automated Windows Fixit and it did not solve the problem.  I also found I was unable to download anything with IE after running ThinkVantage update, so I had to download the Fixit on another computer, put it on a flash stick and then run it on the T400.

Well, I could not leave the system as it was, so I reinstalled Windows 7 and immediately installed ThinkVantage System Update 5.05 again, then downloaded and installed all the drivers it found.  Same problem.  Windows Update would no longer update.

Finally, I reinstalled Windows 7 again, updated the drivers with files I had downloaded previously from the Lenovo web site, and proceeded to finish off the complete Windows 7 install with all the Microsoft updates.  This time, I did not install and run ThinkVantage Update.

I have previously used ThinkVantage System Update on NEW systems received direct from Lenovo and found it a real timesaver for updating all the hardware drivers.  But, hey, if it won't work in the refurb scenario I've described, it's got to be fixed.  My best guess is that it messes up some registry entries... Ben Myers

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,944
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkVantage System Update 5.05 causes Windows 7 Windows Update to fail and inhibits IE download

Hi,

This sounds familiar.  If you run TVSU again, don't allow it to install the Intel storage driver.  I've seen this several times.  For some reason a buggy (or maybe just inappropriate for the hardware) driver gets installed that breaks Windows Update.

If you're willing to give it a try, run TVSU and see if it's offering a storage driver.  Don't accept that one but let the others install and see if WU is still running correctly.  If thigs are OK, hide the storage driver.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ben_myers
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,904
Message 3 of 5

Re: ThinkVantage System Update 5.05 causes Windows 7 Windows Update to fail and inhibits IE download

I have been refurbishing a number of Thinkpads lately.  Next one, I'll use TVSU and omit the storage driver.  If, in fact, that is the cause of the problem, TVSU needs to be updated either to not install the storage driver or to install it only when the installation will not break the system.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I will report back when I set up my next Thinkpad... Ben

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,903
Message 4 of 5

This issue doesn't seem to be across the product line.  I've only seen it with T400 and maybe a few others.

There's something wrong with the driver catalog for that specific machine and Win 7.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ben_myers
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,858
Message 5 of 5

I set up another T400 yesterday, used TVSU and installed all updates EXCEPT the Intel hard disk software.  The system survived the process and so did I.  The T400 has updated software and runs without any problem.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors