Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bojanmiljkovic
Paper Tape
Views: 1,043
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad L560 breaks LAN connection on Windows 10

Hi!

I have a brand new Thinkpad L560, a week old. Installed brand new Windows 10 x64.

Everything worked well. 

When I installed ESET Endpoint Security, few times a day my LAN connection would break in terms that I will loose connectivity to the Internet and internal servers (I can not ping internal DNS servers, any of my coworkers have no problems). If I switch to wireless connection when the LAN is down, everything works OK. My LAN connection will not get back to the Internet until I reboot the machine (I will have yellow exclamation mark in notification area saying that I do not have the access to the internet and if I unplug and plug the cable, Windows will say "Identifying network" but will never finish it).

I updated Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM driver to the latest release (12.15.23.1 dated 10th may 2016) but the problem continued.

I deinstalled ESET and installed ESET Antivirus without firewall. Same thing happened with exact the same behaviour. I deinstalled ESET and installed AVG. Same thing happened after half an hour. So I decided to ask for help here since I can not work without antivirus software. 

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Bojan Miljkovic

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,002
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad L560 breaks LAN connection on Windows 10

It could something in the power management that is literally powering off the network card, so I would start by updating that driver and the Intel Chipset drivers too.   Better yet, just download the Thinkvatage System Update utility and use it to update all the drivers on your system.

It is also possible that this is an ESET issue, so you might check their support site too.

When the problem occurs next time

• Right click on Start, and select Network Adapters
  • Right click on your Ethernet Adapter and select Disable, and then once done, do the same and re-enable it

Does the adapter now work?

You can also check to see if you can disable power management on that NIC (not all devices have the option)

• Right Click on Start and select Device Manager
  • Open Network Adapters
  • Right Click on your Intel Ethernet Controller and select properties.
  • If the Power Management tab is present, open and uncheck  "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Good Luck,

bojanmiljkovic
Paper Tape
Views: 977
Message 3 of 5

Thanks JDGillis!

I did exactly what you suggested yesterday - switched off power management on NIC.

A big smile on my face while seeing that you suggest the same thing.

It is hard for me to blame AV if two different AV-s cause the same problem. With my previous lap top I also had Windows 10 and everything the same on my workplace and did not experience i single network or internet issue.

We will see the results. I will post them here, in order to be able to help someone else in the future...

pacersman
Paper Tape
Views: 672
Message 4 of 5

If the issues persist, especially when downloading large files, contact Lenovo for a fix.  We had more than a hundred units we needed to update and it is not a driver but software that is only available from Lenovo that will patch the chip to fix this problem.  Fixed the issue and we have not had problems since.

bojanmiljkovic
Paper Tape
Views: 654
Message 5 of 5

Thanks pacersman...

The issue is still there, I used Windows Defender, the only tool that does not seems to break my LAN and WiFi connection... But is not offering much of a protection either.

Do you know who should I contact and where? I was not aware that I could ask for that kind of help.

Best regards!

Bojan

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors