Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve310
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,188
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad - Roadmap

As a long time user of Thinkpads I periodically refresh my machine and every time there are compromises I'm having to make. I am looking to update my T540p and have several issues.

* Keyboard cusor keys: There's still no option of a keyboard without number pad. Personally, I'd like to see a standard layout set of cursor control keys, rather than having small keys and home, end, pgup/down all in the 'wrong' place. Having a broadly similar layout to standard keyboards would be great.

* Too few USB-A ports: Laptop and computer usage has taken it's toll on my neck, so I carry a laptop stand to raise the screen up for 50% of the usage time. I use a Matias wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. This is a great setup, but requires two USB dongles. I don't see a single gen 8 i7 model that has more than two USB-A ports. My standard setup would leave me with no spare USB-A ports.

* No ports on the back: New models seem to also be moving the power connector to the side, away from the back. Rear entry connectors keeps cables out of the way.

* I'm now over the move away from 4:3 aspect ratio screens! Not having enough ports is not so easy to accept though. I'm looking at other brands now - shock, horror! What a shame when Lenovo can't find space for sufficient ports with sensible placement, in my opionion at least.

I work in multiple locations and so have to carry everything I want to use. The USB-C dock would resolve my USB shortage but mean carrying more kit with me.

I'm interested in knowing whether this is a problem for others, and understanding Lenovo's thought process in making these changes.

Guru
Views: 1,139
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad - Roadmap

They cannot put ports on the back. The display panels have gotten so thin that they would have to mount the display differently. And since it is so thin, it would break a lot more easily when opening and closing the display.

4:3 would probably not happen again because there are not enough panels available at a reasonable price for Lenovo. Also the amount of suppliers is very important. If there is only one supplier available for a display panel wit certain specifications, then from a manufacturer's point of view, such as Lenovo, one problem with the display panel, and they would have to refund all the customers. If they have multiple suppliers for a certain part, this becomes less of an issue. So now you understand why 4:3 might not be an option right away as there are many factors that play into this.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,116
Message 3 of 9

I cannot help with the "ports on the back" problem.  As stated above, they just are not possible with the thin machines and more people want "thin and light".  I'm afraid that USB-A ports are on the way out, right after DVD drives.  The discussion is similar to those that were going on when PS-2 ports were being replaced by USB or when floppy disks were going away, etc.  You might think about carrying some of these or leaving them at the various places you work.  The link is just an example.  I have never used this seller so it is not any sort or recommendation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-Adapter-Type-C-Adapter-3-Pack-Hi-speed-USB-C-to-USB-A-3-0-Adapter-for...

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
steve310
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,105
Message 4 of 9

Hi Jonas,

The T series machines I've been looking at are not really *that* slim. The hinges on the models I've owned and had occassion to open up have screens hinged at each end of the chassis. Typical battery placement would obviously get in the way. When you look at the innovation and engineering challanges overcome by smartphone manufacturers then I don't accept that they *cannot* do it, they likely just choose not to as a compromise - or genuinely feel that people don't want conectors at the rear.

It's not the end of the world, I'm just interested in knowing whether I'm the only one who'd prefer tidier cables.

As I say, I'm over 4:3, and probably wouldn't want to go back to that format now I'm used to 16:10.

Steve

steve310
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,100
Message 5 of 9

Hi Rich,

What! DVD drives have gone!  ;-)

I'd be happy for USB-A to transition to USB-C, but I don't feel there is sufficient peripheral support for USB-C just yet. Providing support for USB-C makes sense but not at the expense of severely limiting USB-A. I'm used to four USB ports on a laptop, the T580 I'm looking at has three - two As and one C... or potentially two USB-C as there's a Thunderbolt 3 that *should* work as USB-C.

If I moved over to say a USB-C wireless mouse - instead of having a low profile (say 5mm) USB-A dongle I'd have a large USB-C dongle pretruding I guess 15 mm (from the couple I've been able to find.) I.e. not suitable for leaving plugged in whilst in the case (integrated BLE4 (say) and good interop standards should get rid of dongles anyway - but that's another thing!)

I can't even find a wireless keyboard with USB-C dongle - let along a descent keyboard like the Matias! :-(

I'm just struggling to see a slick solution for my setup. Maybe the C / A adapters you helpfully provide a link for, will be workable for plugging in USB-A devices and existing flash drives. Plus when spending a lot of money I feel I shouldn't have to be compromising.

Maybe I'm just too demanding!! That's the problem!

Steve

Guru
Views: 1,055
Message 6 of 9

Steve,

They have their reasons for mounting thte displays like this. At the end of the day, they are the engineers, we're not.

I'm quoting an employee of Lenovo:

"Thinness requirements have driven drop-hinges, which eliminates rear ports. The keyboard piece is driven by complexity - more 15" users want a numpad (I understand the feeling). The screen piece is driven by the industry. There are currently more ports on its replacement (2xUSB 3.1, a USB-C and a TBT-3)."

I personally don't mind not having ports at the back, because you have to close the lid or look at the back to plug something in, which is quite annoying. Now basically you peek to the sides to plug something in. It cannot get easier than that.

All the changes you mentioned are results of requirements set by both Microsoft and Intel. Manufacturers like Lenovo, HP and Dell can't get around this. A quick Google search for 'imposed requirements ultrabook intel' will probably give you a head start to a basic understanding of the changes.

The best you can do right now is keep your head down and buy whatever is available on the market.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,035
Message 7 of 9

Betreff: Thinkpad - Roadmap

@steve310

You probably want to look into getting a P50 / P51 to replace your T540p. P50 / P51 plenty ports and they are also placed on the back. They do always have a Numpad though.

steve310
Blue Screen Again
Views: 994
Message 8 of 9

Betreff: Thinkpad - Roadmap

Hi,

Yes, the P51 is an option I'm considering, though with a P52 in the wings, with gen 8 i7, it puts me off getting an older model. I'll be hammering it for a few years so like to get the latest and greatest when I change. Again, it's a shame I should have to consider compromising when spending so much.

I guess there's just not the demand for 'proper' cursor control keys. Lenovo could clearly offer an option if there was the demand. Demand is certainly not apparent from my posting!

Thanks - Steve

steve310
Blue Screen Again
Views: 993
Message 9 of 9

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the Lenovo quote. Interesting. 

Obviously you wouldn't locate frequenty used ports on the rear. Power, Ethernet and say a couple of spare USB (for permenent low profile dongles say!) The engineers obviously choose to direct their efforts elsewhere.

Maybe it's time to have a serious look elsewhere.

I appreciate your input.

Cheers - Steve

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors