Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WTurgeon
Paper Tape
Views: 637
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad T410 and Mini dock 4337

I am having trouble finding out how to do something that SHOULD be simple to do, so any help here would be appreciated. I recently acquired a Lenovo T410 and a Mini dock Series 3 (4337). I wiped the machine and returned it to the way it was when it came from the factory. Now I want to use it in the dock at my desk and I have a problem. The whole idea of having the dock is to allow the laptop and dock to be 'out of the way' at the back corner of the desk and simply access it with an external keyboard; mouse; and LCD display. Ideally, when it is in use on my desk, I do not want to have to open up the display. Therein lies my problem. The external display is connected to the VGA connector on the mini-dock and when I start the laptop by pressing the power button on the mini-dock, NOTHING shows on the monitor. The external keyboard; Mouse and network connection all work just fine on the dock - my only problem is the display. I have to open up the display, wait for the login screen; press the Windows key - P combination to pop up the display "chooser'; select "Duplicate" and press enter before the external display will work. This is extremely inconvenient. Is there ANY way to have the display automatically come up on the external monitor when the machine boots up in the dock? I have owned several other machine/dock combinations, including ones by Toshiba; H-P; Gateway and Dell and have NEVER run into this type of problem before. All I want is for the T410 to start up on its internal display when it is being used portable (undocked) and alternatively, come up on the external monitor when it is started while in the dock. I have looked all over the Internet and throughout this site and cannot find ANY mention of how to do this.
Guru
Views: 619
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad T410 and Mini dock 4337

Hi, welcome to the forum!

You have to access the Bios setup for this to work.

If I remember the T410 Bios correctly, there is the menu "Config". Pressing enter you will see the submenu "Display". There you can adjust the T410 to send image to Analog (VGA), Digital on Thinkpad and Digital on dock. Try Analog first. After you select it press F10 to save and reboot, see what happens.

I hope it solves your problem, please post back your results!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
WTurgeon
Paper Tape
Views: 611
Message 3 of 6

I already tried the BIOS settings. It does not seem to matter which setting I use in the BIOS...I STILL need to go through the same process of booting; opening the display and using the keystroke sequence to 'activate' the external display.
Guru
Views: 599
Message 4 of 6

Is this also happening with DVI connections or is it specific to VGA?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
WTurgeon
Paper Tape
Views: 592
Message 5 of 6

It only happens on the VGA. If I use a different display with DVI, and change the boot display in the BIOS, it boots to the external display just fine. The problem is that I have two machines and a KVM switch so that I do not need two monitors; keyboards; etc. (Which I do not have the room for) and the KVM switch only switches VGA.
Guru
Views: 573
Message 6 of 6

I'm only guessing here, but I think the KVM might play its role in this behaviour. Have you tried a KVM with DVI inputs/output and the docking station? I can't say if this will solve your problem but it's a cheap possible solution and you could at least try it. I'm sorry but I can't think of something else at the moment.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors