Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The_Rain
Paper Tape
Views: 3,649
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad T410 only boots if power supply is plugged in

Hi,

i have a really strange bug. My thinkpad T410 (2537-UQF) with an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD only boots if the power supply is plugged in. If i have full battery and try to boot without the power supply i get a blue screen after being about 60 seconds in the screen where the windows logo appears. I have Windows 7 installed fresh a few days ago.

I think its possible, that i have made some failure with the drivers. The ThinkPad Power Managers always stops working after booting. So i have removed the program by using the "msconfig" functionality.

I am not really sure what i can do about it. Any idea?

Thanks for every answere in advance & kind regards

Rain

The_Rain
Paper Tape
Views: 3,615
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad T410 only boots if power supply is plugged in

I have now more detailed information about the issue.

- Restart and Sleep works without the power supply, only battery plugged in

- Shutdown and then restart, works only if power supply is plugged in. (It does not make a difference if the battery is plugged in, always if the power supply is not plugged in the startup will fail with a bluescreen. On the bluescreen is a advice to make a filesystem check. If i use the harddisk check in the bios, the test will fail if the power supply is not plugged in with an Read Error. This makes me think about a problem with the SSD i am using. But im working 10hours or more a day with the notebook and everythink works as long  as i dont do a shutdown).

I am now really confused. I reinstalled the power manager and the power manager driver. The power manager now works perfekt. It does not stop working after booting.

What should i do next? i cannot install a SSD firmeware update because i have windows on the ssd. Also on the website from OCZ is written, that a installation of the firmware-update is not recommend if not absolutly necessary.

Please, help me if someone has a idea.

In my oppinion this is a really big issue (Bug), because i can not consider my notebook a notebook anymore if it can not boot without an external power supply...

Any advice?

Greetings, Rain

The_Rain
Paper Tape
Views: 3,612
Message 3 of 6

Ok i have fixed the Problem:

The solution is to set the Power settings for Battery in the BIOS to Automatic. If the Power settings in the Bios are on Maximum battery life, the system will not boot if using the OCZ Vertex 3 SSD.

Hope this helps everyone who has the same problem. I needed 4 days to figure this out.

Greetings, Rain

CorkyG
802.11n
Views: 3,601
Message 4 of 6

Good catch! It is worth a kudo! Smiley Happy
The_Rain
Paper Tape
Views: 3,596
Message 5 of 6

Oh nice =) Thank you Smiley Happy
oliversl
Token Ring
Views: 2,694
Message 6 of 6

Wow, many thanks! Its working for my OCZ Vertex 4 too! Regards and kudos!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors