Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy220
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,417
Message 1 of 9

[Thinkpad T410s] wifi not working - HW issue

Dear all,

I changed fan and I disassembled my thinkpad. Since I put it together my wifi does not work. If I want to enable wifi via Fn-F5 I am getting error NO WIFI ADAPTER FOUND. I tried to switch wireless button and also I did change in BIOS. Nothing helped. It seems that some HW issue (cable disconnected, modul unplugged etc.). Does anybody have idea what to do with this issue?

Regards

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,406
Message 2 of 9

Re: [Thinkpad T410s] wifi not working - HW issue

First I would check in Device Manager (START/ RUN  "devmgmt.msc) and under Network Adapters, see if the WiFi adapter is listed, and if so, see if it is enabled (right click and select Enable/Disable) and if not ,enable it.   If it has a yellow exclamation point in front of it, try to update the driver (right click and select "Update Driver.   You can also uninstall the device, selecting the box to remove device driver software, and then let Windows re-detect the card and install a new driver..

If it is missing from device manage, you may have accidentally jarred it, or one of its connections loose.    See Page 103 of the ThinkPad T410 and T410i Hardware Maintenance Manual linked below on how to remove/reinstall it and see if that helps.   If not, the card is replaceable, and are not too expensive.

ThinkPad T410 and T410i Hardware Maintenance Manual

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/63y0535_01.pdf

Good Luck

andy220
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,397
Message 3 of 9

Dear JDG,

it is very strange. I see wifi adapter under device manager. Disable and re-enabling do not do anything. Wifi by Fn- F5 does not come up. So if I see wifi adapter under device manager so from HW point of view is OK and I do not have any problem with module,wiring or whatsoever?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,392
Message 4 of 9

Hi Andy, 

Try uninstalling the WiFi card from device manager (right click on it and select Uninstall, but Do Not check the box to "Delete the driver software for this device" at this time.    Once complete, right click on Network Adapters and select "Scan for Hardware Changes" and see if it re-detected, and if so, and it still fails to work, try uninstalling again, but this time, check the box to "Delete the driver software for this device".    Before you do that though, make sure you have downloaded the driver needed for your WiFi card from the link below under Networking: Wireless WAN.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t41...

If the WiFi card is not re-detected, then I would consider removing and reinserting the card and try again, perhaps it needs to be reset.    BTW:  A pencil eraser works good for cleaning the contacts on the card while you have it out..

Some Questions:

• What Windows version are you running 7, 8.x or 10?    I ask because I do not see any Wifi drivers for your laptop for Windows 8.x or 10 on Lenovo's site.    If you are not running windows 7, I would not delete any exising driver software     
  • What is the exact model of WiFi card do you have showing in Device Manager? 
  • Are you sure that the WiFi card is enabled in the BIOS?
  • Any other details or odd behavior noted on the system?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,370
Message 5 of 9

Short (somehow dumb) question, what's the position of the manual wifi switch on the right side? Is it on green? 

-

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
andy220
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,364
Message 6 of 9

Dear JDG I will try reply what I know so far. I have windows 7 64-bit. Card is enabled in BIOS I am sure. No other issues. Once I changed fan and a put new artics grease on CPU is running as charm. But as I told once I assmebled since then I have problem to bring up wifi up. Do you think that cable from WLAN button is disconnected? I suspect that. I am going to disassemble again and check if all cabling is connected.

Regards

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,358
Message 7 of 9

Hi Andy,

Given that you have checked the BIOS, Device Manager, the swtich and it still will not turn on, then I think something must have become dislodged, so yes, I would check the connections to the WiFi adapter, and to the WiFi on/off button too, .   Something must be loose.

Good luck 

andy220
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,321
Message 8 of 9

S problem has been solved. The flex wire from wireless button was not connected to conector at PCB motherboard. Not visible so much.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,304
Message 9 of 9

Glad to see you found the problem.   Good sluething.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors