Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glasguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,635
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad T420 Intermittent Freezing / Lockup

Thinkpad T420 Intermittent Freezing / Lockup

My Thinkpad T420 keeps intermittently permanently freezing / locking up. However it seems that anything that uses hardware acceleration makes the system suddenly lockup.  For instance, boot into Windows 7 and open Chrome Browser play a YouTube Video and it will lock up or enable the Windows Areo Theme and try looking at the event manager will also make the system permanently lock-up. 

Here is the troubleshooting that I have tried so far:

1. Fresh OS installation from the recovery partition and update using Lenovo System Recovery but problem still persists. ( includes updated BIOS )
  2. Run Lenovo Diagnostics ( 20 times pass over ) and no fault reported. ( no test in Diagnostics for CPU Graphics )
  3. Tried a known good harddrive and loaded Windows 7 and applied Lenovo System update and problem still persists.
  4. Tried using a known good memory module ( Lenovo T420 memory module ) tested separately in each memory bank, the problem still persists.
  5. Used the machine with out the Battery, using just power cord and problem persisted.
  6. Used the machine with just the battery and the problem still persisted.
  7. Using the machine with Battery connected plus power adapter and problem persists.
  8. Removed the DVD drive and the problem persisted.
  9. Removed the Wifi Card and the problem still persisted. 
  10. Removed the 3GS card and problem still persisted.
  11. Swapped over another keyboard from another Thinkpad T420 and problem still persists.
  12. Disabled Fingerprint reader in BIOS and problem still persists. 
  13. Confirmed no freezes if Thinkpad is booted into the BIOS and left for some hours.
  14. Booted machine with a live Linux Mint 16 DVD and problem still persists ( Freezes straight away )
  15. No freezing when the laptop is used in Windows 7safemode. 
  16. No freezing when the laptop is used with Linux Mint in safe mode though Mint does confirm that hardware acceleration has been disabled. 
  17. CPU tempertures are within the normal range.

The troubleshooting confirms that the problem is a hardware fault. So I logged a warranty call and explained that it was likely a fault with the System Board or the CPU. The engineer replaced the system board and the problem still remained. 

So it look most likely that the integrated graphics seem to be causing the problem, especially when the system freezes when hardware acceleration is used.  Has anyone else had a similar problem. I'm now waiting for the next plan of action form Lenovo. I did confirm the system freezing problem with Windows 7 and Mint 16 after the engineer replaced the system board and before he left. I'm still waiting on Lenovo getting back.

Guru
Views: 2,562
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad T420 Intermittent Freezing / Lockup

Thorough diagnosis; definitely seems like GPU failure.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
glasguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,537
Message 3 of 10

It certainly points in that direction, I'm wondering if many others have had a similar problem.
edeltoledo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,477
Message 4 of 10

Hi everybody.

Also I have the same problem.

The motherboard and memory have been replaced, the problems still persists.

Now the hard drive has bad sectors.

I also try in a new windows7 installation in another drive and the laptop get freeze.

Do same with Fedora in a new hard drive.

Still waiting for solution.

Guru
Views: 2,464
Message 5 of 10

@edeltoledo,
So you tried a new drive and it still freezes?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
glasguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,455
Message 6 of 10

I done extensive testing, it was not the hard drive. It turned out that the integrated graphics on the cpu were faulty. The CPU has since been replaced and the problem solved. As per my first post, anything that used hardware acceleration would cause the freeze hence my suspicion about it being the cpu or planer board. It would freeze in windows and when using a live mint Linux cd, so the mint live cd ruled out the hard drive and preloaded software on it.

Thanks,
glasguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,454
Message 7 of 10

@ edeltoledo

Try using a lunux live DVD, Mint 16 ? and see it the problem persists. If the problem persists then it may indicate a faulty CPU.
edeltoledo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,437
Message 8 of 10

Ok, I will tray with Mint.

A few months ago I tried with Fedora, laptop have the same problem.

glasguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,427
Message 9 of 10

Remember, don't install Linux on the hard drive. Just boot from DVD and run Linux . See if it is still happening them.
daks
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 10 of 10

Well, the good news is that replacing the "integrated GPU" is trivial compared to replacing the motherboard so I am surprised that the technician chose the latter route.  I have a T61 here with discrete NVIDIA GPU which has apparently managed to unsolder itself (a known problem for which the replacement program ran out years ago) and that's basically permanent.  I can only use that one for parts any more.

Swapping out a Sandy Bridge CPU, in comparison, is child's play.  Newer BIOS versions throttle the RAM speed to 1333MB/s (depending on the CPU, the GPU might otherwise access it faster).  I have no idea whether this measure is related to the damage you have been experiencing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors