Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpnaz
What's DOS?
Views: 42,565
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad T440P no option to disable touchpad when external mouse is connected

New ThinkPad T440p and the first issue I encountered is there is no option to disable the touchpad when an external mouse is detected. I don't want to do it via the bios or some other hack as I use the touchpad when it is not convenient to use an external mouse. So it should be able to do the switching as needed, this is a simple feature that other manufacturers have had for years and years. 

I already upgrade the UltraNav Driver to the latest v18.0.7.57 and that didn’t present a solution. I am running Windows 7 SP1 - 64bit.

Guru
Views: 42,538
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad T440P no option to disable touchpad when external mouse is connected

It's technically part of the driver, so try the registry edit here if you can't find the option in UltraNav settings:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-turn-off-touchpad-when-mouse-is-connected-in-windows-78-1/

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
mpnaz
What's DOS?
Views: 42,523
Message 3 of 9

Re: Thinkpad T440P no option to disable touchpad when external mouse is connected

ColonelOneill,

The guide put me in the right direction but I had to adjust the value in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER versus HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Registry Change

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\DisableIntPDFeature

Dword from hexadecimal 22 to 33.

It is a bit frustrating being a long time Dell Laptop user that other manufacturers are not as diligent in making sure this feature is externalized in the control panel for users that have no registry access. Like is often the case in a corporate issued computer. 

So issue solved but again it would be great if this was in the Touchpad software versus having to change registry values. 

Thanks!

jeepao
Paper Tape
Views: 42,505
Message 4 of 9

same guide, with detailed steps on how to achieve this for newbies: disable touchpad

mpnaz
What's DOS?
Views: 42,465
Message 5 of 9

This registry fix only sort of worked it allowed for the touchpad to be disabled when I connect an extrenal mouse but it doesn't recognize the removal of the mouse. If I reboot the machine it starts up and works then pops up and says touchpad is dasabled due to external mouse yet there is not one connected. 

Any one seen this behavior or have a fix for this?

DallasCZ
Serial Port
Views: 41,920
Message 6 of 9

there is no one from LENOVO to take care of this very usefull and (for me) important feature? I use my mouse in my office and when i travel i use touchpad and it is very frustrating to go everytime trough the whole settings things.

deskwise: Commodore64-Amiga 1200-Duron 600-Athlon 2400+-Pentium E7300-Lenovo ThinkPad T540p
mobilewie: Panasonic-Alcatel-Alcatel-Nexus s-ZTE V5-Alcatel idol3
other: lenovo tab 2 10, Cube UT30GT, Lenovo p1m
jimmythis77
What's DOS?
Views: 35,568
Message 7 of 9

Download the Lenova t440p synaptics UltraNav driver from: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t44... disconnect your usb or wireless mouse Load the driver Reboot You should now be able to see the synaptics touchpad settings in Control Panel (Mouse Icon) Click on Thinkpad tab Choose the option USE TRACKPOINT ONLY. Touchpad is now disabled Reconnect your personal wireless/usb mouse
edis
Paper Tape
Views: 34,355
Message 8 of 9

I'm having the same problem.

But going thru control setting every time ist still very cumbersome. Laptops form other vendors and even other Lenovo

@jimmythis77 wrote:
Download the Lenova t440p synaptics UltraNav driver from: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t44... disconnect your usb or wireless mouse Load the driver Reboot You should now be able to see the synaptics touchpad settings in Control Panel (Mouse Icon) Click on Thinkpad tab Choose the option USE TRACKPOINT ONLY. Touchpad is now disabled Reconnect your personal wireless/usb mouse

Models have a special FN key for enabling/disabling the touchpad. Would it be able to change the behavior of one of the function keys to perfom this?

vanillabeans320
What's DOS?
Views: 3,479
Message 9 of 9

My model is a T440s; hopefully this helps on your model too. Also I haven't read the whole thread, I'm just assuming you're doing it for the same reason I am: My palms keep moving the mouse pointer. 

In Windows 10, open start and search "trackpad". You'll see "Mouse Properties (Touchpad Clickpad...)". Choose this one and NOT the normal "Mouse Properties" result.

In that window there should be a tab for ThinkPad, go to it, and under Pointing Options select "Use Track Point Only". 

This will make it so it only responds to the little red "nub" between your G, H, and B keys, and not the touchpad. 

Hope this works for you!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors