Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
osamasoliman1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 921
Message 1 of 12

Thinkpad T450 Partitioning issue

Hi All

I had my Thinkpad T450 for a while and becasue im a linux user , i have decided to install a linux OS alongside with Win10, however i couldn't because my 240SSD was partitioned already as 4 Primary Partitions which is the Max. number of partitions for MBR.

1-SYSTEM_DRV = 1.46GB

2-Windows = 200GB

3-Lenovo Recovery = 15GB

4- Hibernation Partition= 7GB (Don't know anything about it)

now im trying to shrink the Windows Partition but it says that there is no enough space in MBR Record.

Please if anybody can help me. what should i do to be able to create a new partition

shall i delete one of these partitions like Lenovo Recovery or smth?

thnx 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 916
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thinkpad T450 Partitioning issue

Is this the way the machine was delivered initially?  I thought all the machines of this vintage came as GPT, not MBR.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
osamasoliman1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 903
Message 3 of 12

thanks Richk for your reply .
Yes, it has always been MBR.
so what do you think?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 900
Message 4 of 12

I don't know how they shipped Win 7.  I've used Lenovo media to recover a T450s and one is given the option of GPT or MBR during the process.   Either way the result looks like the image below.

The other strange thing is that hibernation partition.  Doesn't windows typically use a hibernation file?  Looks like someone has messed with the partitions already.

My WAG re that error message is that there are un-movable files (paging, maybe) that prevent you from shrinking that far.  You might be able to do it with off-line tools.

If you do manage to manipulate partition sizes, number, or location you'll almost certainly lose the ability to use the recovery partition.  An option might be to make your recovery media and just grab that space for Linux.

FWIW,

Z.

[edit] Belay that.  Somehow missed that this is a Win 10 machine.  Apologies for the noise!

T450s Win 7 Lenovo MBR.PNG

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 893
Message 5 of 12

This is win 10

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
osamasoliman1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 888
Message 6 of 12

thank you zoltan,
i have found an article about the hibernation partition , you can have a look . do you think it could help?
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/How-to-recover-8GB-partition-by-turning-...

i have tried to create a new partition using GPARTED Live CD. but still no chance to go for more than 4 partitions.
I think i would try to remove the Hibernation partition following the steps in the former article.

give me your thoughts please.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 863
Message 7 of 12

@richk wrote:

This is win 10

Right you are.  Thanks for the correction.

@osamasoliman1 wrote:
thank you zoltan,
i have found an article about the hibernation partition , you can have a look . do you think it could help?
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/How-to-recover-8GB-partition-by-turning-...

i have tried to create a new partition using GPARTED Live CD. but still no chance to go for more than 4 partitions.
I think i would try to remove the Hibernation partition following the steps in the former article.

give me your thoughts please.

I don't think I can add much to the conversation.  As above,  my bad for somehow thinking we were talking about Win 7.

As richk says, it seems very strange to have Win 10 installed on this machine in MBR mode.

As to 30-day standby: here's a Lenovo forum conversation that may shed some light:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/30-day-Standby-with-Windows-10-t450s/td-...

I hesitate to attempt any advice.   Make your recovery media if you can before making any modifications.  After that some options might be deleting the hibernation partition, installing Win 10 clean in UEFI/GPT mode and making whatever partitions you need, or running Linux in a virtual machine.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

osamasoliman1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 842
Message 8 of 12

thank you zeltan.
i will try to do remove that Hibernation Partition as i see it the best solution so far.
last time i used the Hibernation feature was almost 8 years ago ,so i think that i will not need it anyway.

once i have done it i will let you know guys.

thank you
Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 837
Message 9 of 12

I'd perform the following task, depending on the number of partitions and drive space the OP needs:
1. disable the hibernation feature, remove its file if it's present, remove partition
2. create factory recovery media, remove Lenovo_Recovery partition
3. convert the MBR partioning to the GPT one. I didn't perform that for win10, but hope it's possible without significant efforts. Of course, full system backup or recovery media is needed.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

osamasoliman1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 811
Message 10 of 12

Thanks x220forme for your reply.

sounds a good idea by converting from MBR to GPT. but which tool would u prefer to do that?
GPARTED is quite good actually but have no idea whether it has GPT converting feature.

give me your thoughts please

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors