cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 1,253
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad T460p WQHD out of the box Color Accuracy issues?!

Just received this unit T460p with the WQHD IPS 2560x1440 and NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, and the color profile seems to be way off. If I open MS Paint and fill a square with 50% Gray, I get what looks like a brownish color. Also, when viewing pictures of people online, they basically look orange. This unit being so new, is this normal?! I am wondering if the panel itself is bad, or just the color profile. Even with the ICC file from NotebookCheck.net (ICC File (X-Rite i1Pro 2)) it's still horrible. I can get close to normal by editting the colors, but this seems ridiculous on such a new and high-end unit. Is this just an issue with Lenovo not doing their homework first, or is it possible the display is no good? I don't want to send it back, just to have them send it back with the same issue, anyone else having issues with theirs? My current HP Elitebook is spot on with its colors, this thing off by a mile.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,237
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad T460p WQHD out of the box Color Accuracy issues?!

Note from Moderator:  Employee name/e-mail/phone removed to protect their privacy per the forum rules.

Hello

I hope LCD in your laptop isn't defective, color profile might be not applyed. Profile NBC offers might not match your LCD as there are 5 LCD models for T460p. Did you check that matching?

Anyway, Lenovo support site provides ICC file for T460p:
http://support.lenovo.com/ru/ru/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T46...

UPD

Also, does/did Windows update offer ICC file for your laptop? Any chance it has replaced Lenovo preloaded one?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 1,231
Message 3 of 10

I can't see where it replaced anything, everything looks good, the drivers you listed are from may of last year. I also ran the updates from the Lenovo site, and still nothing is making any difference. Sigh. The colors are so bad, that I got to believe there is something horribly wrong here.

ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 1,222
Message 4 of 10

If its any help, this unit came preloaded with Windows 10 Pro, which has been a nightmare on some machines, so not sure if it has anything to do with this. I see Notebookcheck was testing on a Windows 7 Pro machine, so maybe the profiles are different.

ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 1,203
Message 5 of 10

Ok, I have restored the PC to its factory settings, and reinstalled Windows, same issue. I also checked another Lenovo, not the same model, but the colors matched my HP Elitebook exactly, so I am guessing this display on the T460p is no good. Will try returning it tomorrow, thanks guys.

ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 1,151
Message 6 of 10

Ok, this issue is still present on the new replacement machine as well.....ARGHHH!! How can the color be this bad right out of the box?!?! Does Lenovo not understand accurate color is important to users?! When Gray is Brown, houston we have a problem!!!

pipspeak
Punch Card
Views: 1,131
Message 7 of 10

You must have bad luck (or some software messing with the profiles). My T460p's WQHD display was pretty good right out of the box, a bit on the blue side but that was quickly fixed by  a calibration. After calibration, average Delta-E was just over 1.1 and maximum Delta-E was only 2.65, which is decent for a laptop. White point was just over 6600K. It's not the widest-gamut display, but close enough to 100% sRGB for my uses

ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 1,125
Message 8 of 10

All I have done is startup both laptops, even before taking updates (and after) the colors are way off. Pictures are way oversaturated (especially red), grays are more brown , and skin tones are orange, I am not understanding how this higher end laptop could be this bad. All the laptops I have access to, even one of which is a newer consumer grade lenovo, are all the same, this model is the only one doing this. I am going to try and use a SpyderPro to calibrate this, but I am seriously disappointed in such a highly rated system, and this thing seems much more underprotected/flimsy then my HP Elitebook 8470p, this is not what I call MilSpec....It doesn't even have a latch for the screen when closing....really?! 

pipspeak
Punch Card
Views: 1,117
Message 9 of 10

The T-series is certainly not what it used to be, build-quality wise, but the latchless and flimsy lid is not new -- been like that for a few generations now. The T460s is slightly better. Not sure why the expensive "p" versions get the crummier build quality. 

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I did a clean install of Windows 10 and installed the minimal amount of Lenovo software/drivers.

I wonder if there's more than one supplier of the WQHD panel. Mine was made by Panasonic. 

ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 1,108
Message 10 of 10

I am going to try the SpyderPro first, if that doesn't work, I'll try the nuclear option and clean install Windows 10 like you did.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors