Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cleeren
Paper Tape
Views: 1,352
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad T460s fan & heat

I have a Thinkpad T460s since a couple of months. It's the i7 edition with 20GB/1TB edition.

The device has been working fine so far, although the CPU fan had to be replaced shortly after I got it (rattling noise).

Since a couple of days, the Thinkpad is spinning up the fan very often. Just a simple interaction such as opening Chrome triggers the fan to blow quite loud for some time (20-30s at least). When compiling using Visual Studio, the fan almost spins to the loudest it possibly can. 

The thing is: it didn't do that all of the time I've had it. 

Even when it's completely idle (say 0-2%), the fan still humms a little bit (it didn't do that before either).

Could this indicate a hardware issue? I have NBD support but should know whether this could indicate some failure.

Thanks for any advice.

gillcleeren1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,302
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad T460s fan & heat

Update: when it's not in the power, its fans aren't spinning at all. So it only seems to be happening when it's either in the docking station or connected with my adapter. Can that have anything to do with it?

gillcleeren1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,270
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad T460s fan & heat

Anyone? Quite desperate here. This is a 3K € laptop of 5 months old. It shouldn't be that after just this time, it's heating much more than it used to in the beginning.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors