Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ducvt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,639
Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad T470 SIM Cards

Hi everyone,

I recently got the T470 and it's a great product. I however have problems with my the connecting to the internet with the SIM.

I installed Fibocom L831-EAU WWAN module to my T470, problem is my laptop is detected my sim card only in the first time im insert the sim card, and it's all, can not detect sim card anymore. The message displayed is: Insert Sim, my sim card still working fine with another 4g devices, i try to change another sim card but got the same result.

i try to run command: netsh mbn sh int

here the information:

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name : Cellular
Description : Fibocom L831-EAU
GUID : {3283C712-D22A-4F38-ACB9-063548EF9C1C}
Physical Address : bc:90:b2:******
State : Not connected
Device type : Mobile Broadband device is embedded in the system
Cellular class : GSM
Device Id : 862727030******
Manufacturer : FIBOCOM
Model : Fibocom L831-EAU
Firmware Version : L831_V2E.0C.00.16
Provider Name :
Roaming : Not roaming
Signal : 0%
RSSI / RSCP : 0 (-113 dBm)

anybody know why my laptop can not detect my sim card?

thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,594
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad T470 SIM Cards

Welcome to the Community

Unfortunately, you're not alone with issue.

For example (in Russian Community):
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T470-и-T570/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470-после-смены-SIM-карты-ноутбук...

The same laptop T470, the same wwan modem, the same behavior. Personally, I don't know the reason of issue, sorry. It seems, some win10 update has caused it. We've performed almost all steps that I know in the thread above to troubleshoot, no luck.

Several remained ways I'd perform:
- disable internal battery in the BIOS Setup, remove both AC charger and external battery, remove both the wwan modem and the SIM card for several minuts, assemble the parts, check out the wwan features
- check out win10 updates between two SIM cards have been inserted. Roll back them or restore the system from a restore point if it's available
- in some cases the wwan modem firmware update might help, especially with win10. Unfortunately, Fibocom doesn't provide newer fw your wwan card has. 
- I don't advice to recover the system to the factory state though it's usual method

BTW, according to the laptop User Guide the SIM card should be inserted while the laptop is powered off completely.

What's the cellular operator of the 2nd SIM card?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ducvt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,592
Message 3 of 8

thank you for reply!

you're misunderstand me, sorry for my bad english! i have only 1 sim card and it was working only in the fist time im insert to my laptop! i try to use Sierra EM7455 come from another t470s, i got the same result "insert sim", maybe some win10 update caused it as you said but i have not idea to fix it Smiley Sad

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,589
Message 4 of 8

You're right, I didn't understand you clearly and stiil don't understand after your 2nd post. ((

- you have T470 without wwan card
- you have T470s with em7455
- the wwan card has been inserted in T470 and worked with the SIM card

When/where/why did you insert the SIM card so the error has appeared?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ducvt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,586
Message 5 of 8

im so sorry Smiley Sad(

-i have t470 with fibocom wwan card.

-also i have t470s(brand new, unopened with Win10 OS) with em7455

-my sim card working fine in the first time insert to fibocom(t470), the second time i turn on my laptop i got the "insert sim" error.

-i try to bring my sim card to t470s with em7455, working in the first time, too. after windows update or lenovo update(system automatic), t470s is reboot and can not detect my sim card any more!

-after that, i try to bring em7455 to t470, got the "insert sim" too.

please let me know if you understand me, thank you!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,580
Message 6 of 8

Yes, I see.

The behavior is even worse than in the ru-board case.

Were the wwan modems manufacturers's drivers installed on the laptops? I'm trying to resolve - is it laptop hw related issue, wwan modem firmware, drivers, OS? For example, If em7455 drivers have been installed, the fw reflashing process could start and not complete due to the laptop reboot. But my primary version is a win10 related issue.

Can you test the SIM card in another device with Interner access, smartphone is most likely? Or visit your cellular operator' store to make sure the broadband service is enabled and the SIM card isn't broken.

ducvt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,575
Message 7 of 8

Yes, in case with t470 laptop, i dont install any driver for fibocom, win10 is automatic detect my wwan card and working fine in the first time, the next day i turn on my laptop, it tell me to insert sim card.

i dont know its wwan modem firmware, drivers, OS issue, maybe my windows has been auto update after i turn off my laptop.

i tested my sim card with another devices, such as mobile, mobile hotspot, work great!

My product serial number PF*****, can i bring my laptop to Lenovo VietNam for warranty? i think is the best choice Smiley Sad

1.PNG

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,568
Message 8 of 8

I don't know what sevice providers could perform in this case except of either the system factory recovery or the systemboard replacement.

p.s.I've removed the s/n in your post

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors