Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mart33
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 634
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad T470 bottom cover tamper detection error

Hi, I'm having this annoying problem where each time I power on the computer, this tamper error message comes up, forcing me to hit escape so that i can boot to desktop.

I've tried enabling and disabling this option in bios, resetting bios to default, setting and deleting supervisor passwords, none of that worked.

I've also tried removing and putting the cover back on, checked for any visible spacing on the laptop case, no luck.

I'm not that frustrated, but it still is kind of annoying.

Anyone got any ideas? 

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 618
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad T470 bottom cover tamper detection error

Dear customer,

can you take a picture of that tamper detection error message and paste here?

Mart33
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 609
Message 3 of 10

Here it isTamperError.jpg

Mart33
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 591
Message 4 of 10

Any suggestions?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 575
Message 5 of 10

The only times I have seen this, there was something physically broken or not aligned.  If I remember correctly, on this model, the tamper switch is under the little rear cover (near the wireless card).  Take the cover off and look at things.  There will be a little switch on the motherboard that is supposed to get depressed when the cover is on.  Make sure the switch moves and the piece on the cover that is supposed to push the switch is not broken,  Put the cover back on.  Then boot into the BIOS, and remove the supervisor password.  Hit F9 to load defaults, and save the changes.  Reboot and see what happens.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Mart33
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 564
Message 6 of 10

Nope, that didn't do it either. I can't seem to find this tamper switch, and I checked the manual too.

On a sidenote, the t470 has no little rear cover, it's one piece.

Perhaps, if I could locate the switch, I would be able to determine the nature of the problem. I'll upload an image of the mobo, maybe someone could spot it. Tamper1.jpgCpu sideTamper2.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 532
Message 7 of 10

Sorry.  I was dealing with 2 threads and answered about the wrong model when I talked about the small rear cover.  I'm not sure where it is on the T470.  The switch has a base that's about 3mm square and there is a swing arm that goes up at a 45-degree angle

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Mart33
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 520
Message 8 of 10

Thanks, I think I found the switch, and if i'm correct, it's on the left side next to the external battery. I don't seem to find anything physically wrong though, nothing broken or out of place. 

I'm thinking about the possibility of BIOS being messed up, for when I got the laptop there was no supervisor password set, and the option of bottom cover tamper detection was disabled. From what I gather, the tamper error appears only when there's a supervisor pass already set. 

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 500
Message 9 of 10

Dear customer,

I got the answer from development team that the message you saw on your T470 is Tamper Detection Switch is physically broken. 

That is why you always see this error message whatever you change BIOS Tamper Detection settings.

I recommend you to contact Lenovo service to repair.

For normal tamper detection error message is "System Security - Bottom cover tamper detected".

Mart33
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 482
Message 10 of 10

Thanks, that's the most likely scenario. I'll update when I have news

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors