Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stonejd
Paper Tape
Views: 971
Message 11 of 19

Re: Thinkpad T470s and smart card reader

Rydeen, I have installed a 2nd Smart Card (thinking that the 1st one might have been bad) and I’m still not seeing it in my device manager as you have shown.

I’m running Win10 Pro x64

SMBIOSVERSION

N1CET62W (1.30)

I’m not seeing the SMBus item via device manager either

etulio
Paper Tape
Views: 886
Message 12 of 19

Hello, finally I installed in my T470S the Smart Car Reader and cable as per instructions in:

https://support.lenovo.com/es/es/solutions/pd104699

Then I downloades the latest driver n1wv107w.exe dated 8 March 2018 and installed it and restarted.

I inserted a Smart Card in the reader, but the Device Manager does not  show the Smart Card Device.

Lenovo, Am I missing something? Can you please tell me what to do

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 873
Message 13 of 19

Dear customer,

there is a possibility that your T470s system might get damaged while you were trying to install Smart Card reader.

I recommend to contact Lenovo service to check the smart card interface.

etulio
Paper Tape
Views: 860
Message 14 of 19

Hello, I followed all the procedures in the T470S Hardware Maintenance Manual: Switched Internal Battery OFF in CMOS, ESD precautions, etc, so I am sure my laptop is not damaged. Also, we are two people with the same issue so it is more likely to be a SW configuration issue.

The Smart Card Reader is just a ISO Card Connector and a flex cable, with no active components so the T470 can not know wether they are plugged or not, so I suppose that the Smard Card Reader should appear in Device Manager after driver installation, but my Device Manager does not show it, so I believe this is the real problem.

I installed first the driver recommended in this thread (n1wv105w.exe) which is old, and I found the newer one for Windows 10 dated MArch 2018, but I could not unnistall the older driver (Did not appear in Device Manager) so I installed new one n1wv107w.exe without desinstalling the old one, I do not know it this may create an issue.

My Desktop (Windows 7) has a Smart Card Reader and it shows in Device Manager, but my T470 (Windows 10) does not show it in Device Manager.

stonejd
Paper Tape
Views: 824
Message 15 of 19

Etulio, I have the same problem.  The card that I installed doesn’t show up in Device Manager - I installed 2 different cards and have got the same status... not shoeing in Device Manager; not even a [?].

I have another HP laptop with the cac reader already installed and I compared.  Different operating systems (Lenovo is running Win10 Pro x64 and the HP is running Win7 Pro x64) and the HP doesn’t show the device in Device Manager until my ID is inserted, then it’s there.  I thought this may be the case with the Lenovo; however, it was not.  

õun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 813
Message 16 of 19

Hello,

My case was that I ordered a cable ( 00JT989 - SC10H45492) from Lenovo and it did not work.
I took my computer to Lenovo Service and the warranty replaced the motherboard and cable. New cable code is SC10K09780.

I think, for T470s can use only SC10K09780 cable and for T460s SC10H45492 cable, they look like similar.

stonejd
Paper Tape
Views: 796
Message 17 of 19

Õun, where can I find the new cable (SC10K09780) - only from Lenovo?

Also, why was the MoBoard replaced?  Can you take a screen shot of your Bios where it shows the smart card reader as well as device manager indicating it’s there. 

Do you have a number or contact information as to who to call?

Thanks!

õun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 789
Message 18 of 19

Hello,

I don't know, why the mobo was replaced, maybe I ruined it with first cable which they sold me.

Why pictures for device manager and bios, I use the reader every day and it's works.

You have to call local Lenovo service and ask them for this cable, I have looked everywhere, but have not found.

cable picture attached.

etulio
Paper Tape
Views: 722
Message 19 of 19

Problem Solved

In my case, I ordered initially:

• Cable 00JT989 
  • Smart Card Reader 04X5393

But after installation, it was not working, then I noticed that the Smart Card Reader I received was not 04X5393 (White Flex Cable Connector), it really was 00HN924 (Black Flex Cable Connector). Both Smart Card Readers are similar, the only difference is the Flex Cable Connector is very fragile in 00HN924 so it may not provide a good contact for the Flex Cable, and it never worked.

Then I ordered a real  04X5393, I plugged it, and after Powering ON, the Smart Card appears in Device Manager, see snapshot.

So, if both Flex Cable and Smart Card Reader are the correct ones, the installation is plug'n'play without issues.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors