Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 887
Message 51 of 54

Re: Thinkpad T480 M2 2242 SSD

Hi all,

For anyone following along, this post by rl0160 refers to bootability and chainloading concerns re the T480s, not the T480 that's the subject of this thread.  An SSD in the WWAN slot of the T480 is bootable directly AFAIK, the T480 _s_ apparently not.

Missed that myself on first reading...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

tinmru
What's DOS?
Views: 798
Message 52 of 54

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

Hi all,

For anyone following along, this post by rl0160 refers to bootability and chainloading concerns re the T480s, not the T480 that's the subject of this thread.  An SSD in the WWAN slot of the T480 is bootable directly AFAIK, the T480 _s_ apparently not.

Z.

So to make it clear (because I'm confused now)  - is it possible to install Linux on the main 2280 ssd and Win10 on the 2242 ssd and dual boot them (via GRUB)? 

rl0160
Paper Tape
Views: 791
Message 53 of 54

Hi, i already figured out how to make my t480 boot from the WWAN using 240 GB Toshiba RC100. I thought it was the network boot. But it has to be boot, then click enter to show the boot order. You guys can search in youtube how to rearrange the boot order.

From 1 minute hdd boot time it improved to 19 seconds though i heard from others that using ssd can optimize your boot time in less than 10 seconds. I already disabled applications that run during startups but still its 19 secs. .

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 782
Message 54 of 54

@tinmru wrote:
@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

Hi all,

Z.

So to make it clear (because I'm confused now)  - is it possible to install Linux on the main 2280 ssd and Win10 on the 2242 ssd and dual boot them (via GRUB)? 

My poing in posting the above was to make sure readers weren't confusing discussion of the T480 and T480s - which unfortunately have been combined here.  They are diffferent.  (And I guess I failed...)

With a T480 you should be able to install whatever OS you like on either SSD - but IMHO you should do each install with the other SSD removed.  That way there will be no sharing of bootloaders (Win's or grub) and you can use F12 at power-on time to select the OS you want to boot.

With a T480s (from what I've read) you cannot boot the 2242 SSD directly and will have to chainload from the primary SSD - whatever OS you want to install.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors