Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nfscdarius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 557
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad T480 restarting without notice

Dear Lenovo Community,

I got my brand new ThinkPad T480 laptop with i5 8350, win 10 pro & Nvidia mx150 dedicated graphics card 10 days ago. 

From the past 3 days, My laptop started rebooting without notice. I lost about 800 lines of my code during one of these random reboots. There is no blue screen error before the laptop restarts. Nor is there any abnormal program behaviour. It just restarts... I have the windows version 1803 installed on my laptop. I updated the windows version & the drivers through Lenovo vantage app, however, the problem persists.

Only a week into my ownership I experienced these issues. Now I am afraid this laptop will give up during my coding or my work & I have stopped using this. I have contacted the tech support & they have suggested I apply for a return. I do not want a return. I have been using Thinkpads for the past 5 years & they have never failed me. I don't want one bad experience to ruin my brand loyalty. What should my next steps be here? I am very much not interested in getting things repaired here as I will always fear this machine rebooting on me. I understand that any computer may fail. However, I find it hard to believe something as robust & reliable as the T480 would fail in the first week of ownership. I haven't been running any unsafe programs and my antivirus is up to date.

Thank in advance

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 520
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad T480 restarting without notice

If you do not want to return it, I would start by very carefully reading the system logs in Event Viewer.

If the only one you see is the one about "The last system restart was unexpected..." then perhaps it is

a hardware issue. If the logs have more information than that, perhaps you can address the issue?

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 512
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad T480 restarting without notice

Install a temperature monitor like TPFanControl.  I would like to rule out overheating as a cause.  Also, run an extended memory test.  An intermittent memory problem can cause those symptoms.  I would use the built-in diagnostics first.  Do the same thing with the disk/SSD

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors