Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nemeziz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,185
Message 1 of 16

Thinkpad T480s Fibocom L830-EB and Windows 10 build 1803

Windows still uses Microsoft made "Generic Mobile Broadband" driver, even after installing the Fibocom L830-EB Wireless WAN Dreiver For Windows 10 (Versio 1709 or later).

driver 2.PNG

This ends in only giving a 50 mbps LTE connection even if the location, sim card and subscription gives 300 mps connection possibillities. 

connection.PNG

Windows only sees the generic driver, even if I manually try to choose a driver for this. No Fibocom drivers are found in the list.

Drivers.png

Is there something that got broken during the latest 1803 installation? Has anyone else noticed this?

valiant8086
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,123
Message 2 of 16

Re: Thinkpad T480s Fibocom L830-EB and Windows 10 build 1803

Hi.

I just finished posting about an issue I have that may or may not be related.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/t480s-WWAN-challenge/td-p/4104381

I'm blind so I can't look at your images to see what your driver listing looks like. Can you tell me how you figure out whether you're using a generic windows driver?
Nemeziz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,096
Message 3 of 16

It only offers the "Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter" driver made by Microsoft in the compatible hardware list. Nothing can be found regarding Fibocom.

So that's why I'm thinking it's a generic driver.

valiant8086
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,068
Message 4 of 16

Well, I downloaded a driver from Lenovo for it and I was connected via cellular while I installed the update. I did lose internet during the install, so it at least knows which adapter to restart.

I attempted to delete the driver but even though I tried it 4 times, delete and reboot, it was always still there after booting back up, and windows is configured not to install drivers.

I also can't get it to keep uploading at high speeds without glitching out and making the system process lag my computer out by using all of the cpu. I am quite irritated at this point to say the least. In the thread I linked above I had only tried with one drive, well now I duplicated my issue with Resilio Sync uploading too. No matter what I do I can't seem to change the driver version. Installing the driver from Lenovo gave me a roll back button, but it's still the same version so far as I can tell. The driver version number 0. something on the Lenovo download page doesn't remotely match up with the version the driver claims to be after install completes.

I am stuck with 10.0.17134.1 and yes, when I go to update driver and pick from a list of available drivers on my computer it shows only two choices, and both are exactly the same, Microsoft Generic Mobile Broaddband. I tried them both and still end up with the same driver version on the driver tab of the properties on the fibocom l850-gl. It does lose internet briefly while switching from one driver to the other, but that's the only possible confirmation.

DIICA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,871
Message 5 of 16

Well here we go, I bought two of these machines fully specced from Verkkokauppa.com just recently for my team because it's lightweight and has all the enterprice features I'm looking for sysopping.

I immidiately raised an eyebrow because of the generic driver on the devices I'm fully aware of the modem's specs and we are truly missing out on every possible configuration property on the device management if this doesn't get fixed.

What I've discovered so far after extensive research and reverse engineering.

• The driver shipped to download from lenovo.com for Fibocom L830-EB (t480s wwan) is using the wrong USB device category. Hence why you don't get it shown up while trying to manually select from driver list.
  • Driver has completely wrong vid and pid. Why device "is not compabitle with x64 .... " popup on device manager
  • Driver is not signed or missing certificates. Well this is just absurd, UEFI boot protected machine needs to be taken to skipdriversign mode.
  • Driver build is possibly for a different firmware, it does apply, but fails initialization of the device after some minutes.
  • Driver installer misses out on copying itself to c:\windows\driverstore and subsidient loading of driver always fails

I have one of the largest ISP's in Finland (Elisa/Saunalahti) and after unlocking the pin it just says "Preparing" when there is full LTE-coverage. I've tried removing the device and drivers multiple times, but it just fails to connect for me with the generic driver.

I'm at a loss here. Can we get a Lenovo technician here?

valiant8086
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,834
Message 6 of 16

Mine is a l850gl not an l830. At least, that's what it claimed when I configured it on lenovo.com, and that's what it calls it in device manager. May be the same thing for different markets or something, though the l850gl is supposed to work everywhere?

Anyway, got your direct message and I saw this too. My t480s is in for repair of this issue, I referenced both this thread and the other one I started about it in my repair instructions. I pretty much expect I'll have a reformatted system when I get it back, and I'll have to set it up and install everything again, then I'll go to town eventually and start uploading and have the same problem.

If so, I'm going to make them fix it again. I was told by the service reps that if they try to fix it 3 times they have to exchange it for something else, I just want my money back at this point. If this keeps up though my initial 90 day warranty is going to expire before I get it fixed to begin with, then I'll really be screwed. They were supposed to only have it for 7 days for the repair, it's been a while already.

The service checkup thing where I can track the depot repair reports that it's waiting for parts. *meh*.
Josephlimpk
What's DOS?
Views: 5,591
Message 7 of 16

Hi,

I have purchased the L830-EB WWAN card and installed into my T480s, but my laptop cannot recognise the WWAN card and detected it as USB device as per below. Anyone have a solution to this?

T480s.jpg

mkallio
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,481
Message 8 of 16

T480 here with Fibocom L830-EB and using Elisa corporate SIM/mobile Data in Finland. Win10 Pro 1803, all updates from Lenovo Vantage installed.

Exactly the same symptoms as OP with T480s. Device manager shows generic Microsoft driver for Fibocom adapter and 50Mbps max.

This is almost 2000eur laptop with 150eur WWAN option so I expect this to work at full speed.

Also there is a reliability problem, the Fibocom adapter vanishes and losts connection exactly one time per boot / resume. It can be seen to disappear from the notifiation are, be gone for about 15sec and then return and connect again and seem to maintain connection for the whole day after that dropout. This is extremely irritating when the drop happens in the middle of an Skype Business meeting as a presenter.

Please Lenovo, fix these driver/connectivity problems. Disappointed as my old T530 suffered also from unreliable factory WWAN module!

valiant8086
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,420
Message 9 of 16

My t480s with the l840gl is still in for repair over possibly related issues. It has been in for more than a month. When I sent it in, I quoted this thread as well as the other one I personally started on my issue, and should have a link to early in this thread. I don't know whether to be very angry with Lenovo for taking so long to fix, to be glad they seem to be having trouble with it and may actually identify the problem in all the delaying going on, or what. It sure would be a nice curtacy if they'd weigh in on one or the other of these threads and fill us in. This is a nasty one that really needs attention. They can keep my T480s if they want, I just want all my money back, and it would be nice to find out this got fixed. *ug*

JoseGuerrero
Paper Tape
Views: 4,273
Message 10 of 16

Hi, I own a T480s and recently had my Windows 10 updated to 1810 build (October 2018). I was hoping my problems with the WAN L830-EB would be solved. After the update windows 10 still uses a Microsoft generic driver for the L830-EB. This generic driver now is updated to Sept 2018 version but produces the same dissapointing results as before.

I've never been able to use the driver I can download from Lenovo support site.

Yesterday I saw there is a new firmware version for the L830-EB. Again I was hoping  that would be the solution. I downloaded the firmware update tool (published on 30 nov) and proceeded to update the firmware. It all went fine. Then I reinstalled the L830-EB drivers again but no luck, windows 10 still uses the generic driver that came "bundled" with win10 1810 build...

Lenovo does not seem to care about this issue with L830-EB. I compared the driver file size for L850-GL vs L830-EB. The former is a 45Mb download while the latter is a mere 0,68Mb download. I guess there must me something really wrong about L830-EB driver.

I've not been able to use my WAN connection since I got my laptop. I don't see this as normal. If only Lenovo would share some info on the nature of this issue that would be great news. So far I have not even seen lenovo acknowledging the problem.

Any ideas on what could be the next steps? I'm thinking on asking Lenovo to replace my l830-eb for a l850-gl if this problem is to persist any longer...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors