cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_-_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,166
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad: T480s Upgrade SSD and RAM Compatibility Model #20L8-S0W500 Serial #XXXXXXXX

Hi, there. 

Just as the title says, I'm looking into picking up a low spec T480s and upgrading the SSD and RAM. Issue is I can't seem to find the compatibility specs for that particular device on the site. Any help would be appriciated Smiley Happy

Hardware I was looking at, not sure if compatible though. Wanted 1 TB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe OPAL 2.0 M.2 and 8 GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM.

SSD

----

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147691

Serial removed per forum rules - mod

RAM

-----

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-HX424S14IB2-2400MHz-Unbuffered-Internal/dp/B071L1VBDN/ref=as_li_ss_tl?...

_-_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,154
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad: T480s Upgrade SSD and RAM Compatibility Model #20L8-S0W500 Serial #XXXXXXXX

apologies for the serial # flop

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,141
Message 3 of 7

Re: Thinkpad: T480s Upgrade SSD and RAM Compatibility Model #20L8-S0W500 Serial #XXXXXXXX

The safest thing is to use SSDs with.Lenovo part numbers, but most retail drives and DIMMs work.  RAM with the word value in the name often have compatibility issues.  My experience has been that compatibility issues with non Lenovo NVMe SSDs relate to drives not handling ATA passwords correctly, so I always test that feature.  When buying parts like these from 3rd parties always inquire about the return policy.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
_-_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,121
Message 4 of 7

May I inquire how you go about testing the ATA password handling feature? Do you have any resources you could point me to? I Was just starting to read about Self Encrypting Drives on the ArchWiki. I'm kinda new to encryption but I do want to utilize both hardware and software encryption.  

Thanks for your time.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,087
Message 5 of 7

You don't need hardware and software encryption.  A self encrypting drive and and an ata password are fine if used together.  Without an ATA password, the drive could simply be moved to another machine and read as clear text.  Just test that you can set and remove the PW.  For an individual user, make the master and user passwords the same.  That's probably better, anyway, because the BIOS encrypts tyhe password strings before sending it to a drive,  DON'T FORGET OR SCREW UP THE ATA PASSWORD OR YOU TURN THE DRIVE INTO A DECORATIVE PIECE AND YOUR DATA IS GONE FOREVER,. Also, the fact that Lenovo encrypts ste PW means you cannot remove the PW if you move the drive to a non-ThinkPad or to an external housing.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

_-_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,069
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, and the ATA password is just the master and user pass for the HHD/SSD under security in the bios? I should be able to create and remove them while on the thinkpad just not remove if I move the drive?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,055
Message 7 of 7

yes.  You can also remove them on a different thinkpad that supports that kind of drive.

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors