Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
koalateatimes
Paper Tape
Views: 187
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad T500 Boot issues

Hey everyone.

Just to give some back story on the T500 I received from a computer repair friend of mine. It came with WinXP installed on it (although is licensed for Win7Pro OA). ABout 6 months ago I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on it as to get away from using WinXP since it is no longer supported by Microsoft. It was only after doing some physical maintenance on it that I had noticed the Win7Pro sticker on the bottom on the laptop.

Problem is, about 4 months into using Ubuntu, I wanted to go back to WinXP and upgrade to Win7Pro, as I have the valid license for it. I successfully restored WinXP from local backup on the hard drive and everything seemed fine. Until one day I turned on the laptop and my WiFi adapter module stopped working. I did some basic troubleshooting from reinstalling drivers to some advanced CLI commands. None worked and I couldn't consult Microsoft obviously. I found what I could from everyone else online only to be stuck with a non-working adapter. However, that is only a little bit of the problem.

Recently, I attempted to boot the laptop and when I did, it got so far before giving me an error saying this, "NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" and it does this over and over no matter what I try to do. I have attempted to insert a flash drive with a fresh Ubuntu ISO on it and boot from that, but what I am thinking is that somehow, somewhere that the HDD has encountered an error whilist rewriting WinXP files during a bootup or something. Never heard of NTLDR and researching the error hasn't turned up a whole lot of useful information besides getting a restore disk of the Windows 7 ISO. However, going to Microsoft's website where you can download an ISO file directly from them, it tells me that the manufacturer preinstalled the software.

So, first question is where can I find support from Lenovo to get me the ISO disk or download I need to restore this machine and; what is NTLDR and how/why is missing from the computer?

slam5
Fanfold Paper
Views: 176
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad T500 Boot issues

Hmm..  If your machine is showing so much problem, maybe it is time to junk it.  You are having multiple problem with it that is not related and needed to be fixed individually.  First about your operating system, is your machine originally shipped with XP?  If so, you need the recovery disk for it.  Or you can fix a OEM disk of XP, install it on there and then download the drivers off Lenovo.  But really, you should NOT run XP at any cost.  For Win 7, you can do the same procedure.  7 is the only version of Windows I can recommend.  10 is ok too, imo.  As for missing NTLDR, it means the Windows bootloader is missing.  Basically, you had a problem your hard drive or something had wiped the bootloader from you hard drive. 

koalateatimes
Paper Tape
Views: 165
Message 3 of 4

The biggest issue is the NTLDR is missing. That's it. It didn't ship with XP, as the sticker underneath the laptop says Windows 7 Pro. So, I am thinking IT previously downgraded to Windows XP back when you could do so. Either way, I will try and get my hands on a Win7 recovery disk and go from there. I tried using the Rescue and Recovery from https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html, but all I get is an exe file that I cannot run in the laptop's current situation.

slam5
Fanfold Paper
Views: 162
Message 4 of 4

what you need is an OEM copy of Windows 7 pro.  The easiest one will be one from a generic copy of Win 7 Pro.  If you can find that, all the drivers are there.  Is this your main machine? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors