Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruslan
Not applicable
Views: 9,507
Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad T500 Hinge/Lid repair?

The magnesium rollcage on the left side of the display has broke when I tried closing the laptop. The hinge got somehow stuck, and I coulnd't close the lid, so I tried to apply a tiny bit of force. Unfortunately, being a very fragile and soft material, magnesium (along with the plastic part that holds the bottom left screw) broke. I have managed to get the left hinge moving again, but now the display is being held by only right hinge, which isn't enough to support a 15 inch screen. Oh and closing it is a pain. Lenovo say that they can't fix it for some odd reason, even though it's still on the warranty. (probably because they can't understand what i'm trying to explain). Though I didn't open it yet, I can conclude from looking at it that I'm going to need a new rollcage, new outer LCD shell (that black top lid), and a new set of hinges. I can replace it myself, fully understanding it'd void my warranty, as long as I get my laptop working again. I need it for work.

Where can I get a new rollcage, outer shell and a pair of hinges? Thank you.

This is a Thinkpad T500-2082 which still has 243 days of warranty.

lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 9,486
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad T500 Hinge/Lid repair?

well have you tried ebay? Otherwise you can try IBM parts, but that is probably going to cost you quite a bit, (i would think somewhere around 200 USD or more).

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ruslan
Not applicable
Views: 9,456
Message 3 of 11

Hmm, do you have a link to the parts I need? I have absolutely no clue what they're number is.

andyP
Not applicable
Views: 9,449
Message 4 of 11

The parts don't seem to be as expensive as lead_org estimated.

You need the Cover Kit which has the FRU 43Y9735 $40.50 and the Magnesium Cover FRU 43Y9736 $38.00

Part Numbers are from the T500 15.4 Display parts list.  (The parts list I linked to may not be for the same resolution as your screen, don't panic, the parts I have listed are the same for all screen resolutions)

Prices are from IBM PartSales

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Ruslan
Not applicable
Views: 9,443
Message 5 of 11

Thank you Andy, I appreciate the help.

I have a quick related question: Why can't Lenovo fix it on warranty, I have quite a few service days left! It was clearly the problem in the notebook, the hinge was locked in place, which was clearly not my fault.
andyP
Not applicable
Views: 9,438
Message 6 of 11

Sorry, but I can't answer why Lenovo can't wont repair it under warranty. I don't work for them and the only two systems with broken rollcages I have ever repaired had both been dropped or damaged somehow. I actually featured one of them recently in my blog.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 9,423
Message 7 of 11

i must have done the price inquiry for you without changing the region to US, which came to around 197.85 dollars or something (that would be in Australian dollars). 

Also, the cracked screen casing and magensium frame are usually considered your own fault. My friend had this problem before and he also tried to close the screen and cracked in the similar way. The final resolution was that he paid for the casing and frame at parts cost, and the warranty covers the hinge and labour, etc. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Ruslan
Not applicable
Views: 9,404
Message 8 of 11

But it was the faulty hinge that screwed the whole thing up, was I supposed to carry the laptop around that is open at a 90 degree angle? I wouldn't even be able to ship it like that
lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 9,403
Message 9 of 11

Well that was pretty much what my friend argued for couple of weeks, he could of got a better resolution if he wanted to drag it on, but in the end the time he spent on it is not worth it (he probably was thinking about the opportunity cost aspect).
Regards,

Jin Li

ajml
Not applicable
Views: 7,584
Message 10 of 11

Hi 

So I am facing the exactly same problem. I have a T500 15 inch screen which is stuck and the frame is broken and closing it a problem. The left hinge is not moving. How did you make it work again? Besides I just wanted to make sure that the solution worked for you. Do you really need the "LCD magnesium frame assembly" 43Y9736? I did not really get where it fits. I think I would need the hinge assembly (43Y9737 and 43Y9738) as the left one is not working anymore. Was it the case with you?

Also were you able to find any step by step guide to replace these parts? How hard was it? (10 hrs, 5 hrs, or less?)

Thanks. I would really appreciate any help. Its so inconvenient to work with this stuck screen. I would like to fix it asap. 

-Aj

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors