Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angelzavala
What's DOS?
Views: 114
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad T500 will not turn on without it being plugged in

About three weeks ago I bought a Thinkpad T500. It used to run Windows Vista, but I got rid of that and added Linux Mint. When I first bought the computer it would not turn on if it was unplugged, but I figured I just needed to buy a new battery. New battery came in and it actually registers it and says it is charging, but the problem is it is stuck at 53% and I can not unplug it without it turning off.

I tried looking up a solution; I unplugged and removed the battery then held on to the power button for a minute and powered it on again, but that did not work: stilled only turned on while plugged in.

There was another solution that involved turing it on with the power cord and not the battery then removing the drivers for the power cord and restarting the computer, which should have it reinstall all the battery drivers, but I could not do that because I got rid of Windows Vista and I could not replicate the process in Linux Mint(I am new to Linux. Here is the video I was trying to follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx62t6qZ34U). I did try to look for the drivers for this solutions, but the "driver manager" on Linux does not pop anything up. I am not even entirely sure if this solution will fix my problem.

Not entirely sure what to do next. Any suggestions will help. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 93
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad T500 will not turn on without it being plugged in

I'm assuming you don't have 2 bad batteries.  It sounds like the power circuitry on the motherboard is bad.  Can you return the machine?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
angelzavala
What's DOS?
Views: 85
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad T500 will not turn on without it being plugged in

I can not. I bought it from a surplus store for about $50. Is the circuitry something that can be repaired? If not by me, by someone else?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors