Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hongzhibin1987
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,179
Message 1 of 13

Thinkpad T530 Integrated Camera not working

Hi Folks, 

I got my thinkpad T530 last week. I tested the skype after opening the box and it works. Then I took off the original 320G HDD and put my 830 SSD on it, reinstalled the win8 and blah blah blah.

Just last night when I tried to chat with my parents on skype i found out the the camera is dead. I tried by doing so:

1) according to others threads I uninstall most of the unnecessary drivers;

2) reinstall the camera driver;

3) deleted the ricoh media driver;

4) updated the BIOS;

5) tired to locate someone mentioned, the "privacy" problem. But the video/camera option is not even showing up by Fn+F6;

6) downloaded and installed the thirdparty AMCAM and it says no camera device can be found. 

Please let me know if there is anything else i can do. 

Thank you ,

hongzhibin1987
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,176
Message 2 of 13

Re: Thinkpad T530 Integrated Camera not working

and another stuff is that the image/camera device does not showing up at the device manager....so frustrated cuz i really don't want to reinstall everything..
hongzhibin1987
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,174
Message 3 of 13

and sorry for missing the system info:
Win8 64bit PRO.
hongzhibin1987
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,171
Message 4 of 13

Problem solved. 

This thread helped. 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Unable-to-access-camera-on-W530/td-p/819151

Generally speaking this is pretty common problem among T530, W530 and similar series. 

You have to remobe the bezel and reattach the camera w/ wires. 

I spent a whole afternoon finding solutions, install/reinstall the drivers, calling customer support, and etc. 

And this is a new computer. 

Just reminder troubleshoot in this order:

1. Check whether the driver is correctly installed;
  2. turn the settings of privacy off by press Fn+F6. Set it as "normal". If you cannot see this option, then just go directly 4 or 5; 
  3. Check whether a third-party app can use the camera (I used skype); if no then
  4. Check bios-i/o access-whether the integrated camera is disabled; if no then 95% this is cause by the wrong design of the camera and wire. you have to be carefully, but don't be scared, it's not as hard as you think.
  5. take the three little sticker off (by using sharp knife), and the three screws off;
  6. reattach the wire linked with the camera. When it is necessary, you can even take the camera off, clean the port by blowing it;
  7. Undo the detach procedure. 

Thoughts:

I really don't know what to say about lenovo's QC. I owned several thinkpads: X60S, X60T, R61, W510, and this most recenlty purchased T530. The camera worked couple days, and it just gone dead. 

sigh. 

klaubscher326
Blue Screen Again
Views: 29,087
Message 5 of 13

If the green light on the camera turns on and the application using the camera displays a greay screen with a camera with a line through it then the camera is working just fine and is in privacy mode.

I had this on my T530 when I installed Windows 8 Pro clean using the latest version of the integrated camera driver.  I also have Microsoft Lync 2013 which exposes the privacy setting of the camera to the user interface.  All this really does is changes a registry key value.  If you aren't comfortable changing registry key settings, try finding an application like Lync, Skype, or some other Chat/IM app that exposes the registry setting value to the user.

The registry value is found in the following key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}\0000\PropertySettings]

You can verify the key value by looking at the inf file for the driver.  If you let the Lenovo driver extract like normal the driver location will be the following

C:\DRIVERS\WIN\CAMERA\RCUVCAVS\RCUVCAVS.inf

At the top of the inf file you will find ClassGUID which would be the entry in the registry you would be looking for if you have another Lenovo with the same issue, but a different driver.

ClassGUID     = {6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

You will want to backup the registry before making any changes. The following instructions are for Vista, but they would still apply for 7 and 8

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/back-up-the-registry

In the registry the value that you will want to change is the named '1.8.Cur.0' in PropertySettings in the registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}\0000\PropertySettings]

By double clicking the key you can edit it.  Change the value to 0 for regular mode or 1 for Privacy mode.  

The PropertySettings and DriverSetting keys are documented to some extent in the driver inf file.  I found this by changing the value in Lync and then checking the registry for changes.  If Skype or any other app has the privacy check box that enables regular operation then the same process can be used to map out the registry key settings values for the rest of the Lenovo models.  Worse case Lync can be installed as a trial to change the setting and then find the required registry key to change the camera behavior.

bmintel
Paper Tape
Views: 24,520
Message 6 of 13

camerafix.PNG

sandivale
Paper Tape
Views: 21,521
Message 7 of 13

Could you please put this in very simple language?  I do not understand computer-speak..

I have tried following your directions but I can't even find where to find 'lenovo settings' software - my machine is an E531 ThinkPad, are there different instructions from those for the E530?

chetanbaheti
What's DOS?
Views: 21,229
Message 8 of 13

hongzhibin1987, your solution solved problem on my w520 after struggling for few months. Thanks
hongzhibin1987
Fanfold Paper
Views: 21,204
Message 9 of 13

technically it's the same. I don't think there is a difference between t530 and e series.

Are you using win 8 or win7? for win8 it's a windows 8 app (after you pressing windows button..)

hongzhibin1987
Fanfold Paper
Views: 21,201
Message 10 of 13

hah glad that helped. 

Top Kudoed Authors