Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RadGravity
Paper Tape
Views: 954
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad T550 Reviews

Anyone have one?  Placed an order last Friday.

Intel Core i5-5200U
500GB HDD 7200rpm
8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L (1 DIMM)
15.6FHD WWAN
Intel 7265 BT ACBGN
3 Yr Warranty + Accidental Damage coverage

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 916
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad T550 Reviews

This is my personal review.  For this post, ignore that my forum name is registered as "Lenovo Staff".  

I have been using T550 exclusively for the last 2 weeks.  My previous system was T520.  I can upgrade to any ThinkPad I want at any time.  I skipped T530 because I didn't think it was enough of an upgrade from T520 to justify the hassle of moving systems.  I skipped T540p because I am a trackpoint user and the buttonless model didn't meet my needs.  When I heard that T550 was bringing back trackpoint buttons, and it would be using Intel broadwell platform, I knew right away that I wanted this model.

This is my first system using the 6-row keyboard.  At first I was worried I would not like the number pad which shifts the trackpoint off-center.  But after using it for 2 weeks, I find that I actually prefer it.  The off-center trackpoint doesn't bother me a bit, and I actually like the dedicated calc button where I can bring up calculator and immediately start using it with the dedicated number pad.  I do wish that T550 still had dedicated volume/mute buttons (like T520) but this is the only thing I miss about my old system.

The system runs cool, and when doing standard office tasks (Outlook, Lync, web, etc) the fan never runs.  With more demanding tasks, such as Visual Studio, Lightroom, etc the fan will come on but it is not annoying.

I haven't looked up specs about weight, but I definitely notice how much lighter the T550 is in my backpack, compared to the old T520.  My back appreciates it.

By far the best thing about T550 is the insane battery life.  I'm using the extended 68+ battery.  Along with the built-in internal battery, I can go all day and then some.  For example, while I am typing this right now, Power Manager is telling me I have 15:38 left (84%).  I'm running Win7 and the screen brightness is set to 5 out of 15.  And this is with the "Maximum Performance" power plan.  It's actually hard to believe how good the battery life is.

My specs:

i7-5600u

16GB RAM (2x 8GB DIMMs)

512GB SSD

3K IPS screen (non-touch)

kgremillet
Paper Tape
Views: 542
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad T550 Reviews

For me, it was a very bad choice.

The trackpoint is moving every 1 minute to "calibrate" which is extremely annoying.

The trackpad is the most useless one I have ever tried. You cannot keep your thumb on the trackpad without moving the cursor by 1cm each time you click.

It's small things but they make the use of the laptop a nightmare. Hope it will help for people who consider buying this laptop.

Top Kudoed Authors