Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeTornado
Paper Tape
Views: 1,581
Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad external battery charger

Hello. I have a plan to buy a T460 during the upcoming Christmas sales. I also want to buy an extra battery with it. As a business person who has to travel a lot, i would love to keep both of my batteries fully charged all the times. External battery chargers are hard to find and i, after a lot of search, found one. An old Lenovo support document (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht037009) shows a list of batteries that can be charged using that charger. But T460's Thinkpad 68+ 6 cell 72 Wh battery is not in that list. And, that doc says that i will need a 65W ac power adapter for charging. But T460 comes with 45W power adapter. So my questions are: 
1) Can i charge T460's battery with the external charger? 
2) Will 45W power adapter be enough or do i have to buy a 65W one? 

Thank you very much in advance for your time. Smiley Happy

foolmeonce
Core Memory
Views: 1,452
Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad external battery charger

I bought the 40Y7625 External Battery Charger on Ebay. I have a T460 with both the 68 & 68+ batteries and have charged them both successfully with the 40Y7625 charger, BUT. The batteries don't seat well into the charger, clearly the charger was designed a while ago and the batteries have changed. They kind of hang off and you have to make sure you have a good connection. Fortunately there is a status indicator light to help.

As for the 65 watt adapter.  It's a 7.9mm barrel, not the slimtip that comes with a T460. I have lots of them because I have several older Thinkpads.  These are easy to find on Ebay.  This is one example of an appropriate AC adapter:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?...

You can also buy an adapter/converter to connect your existing T460's 45w ac adapter to the external battery charger, search on Ebay for "Square Female to 7.9x5.5mm Male DC Power Plug Connector for Lenovo" or a converter to go the other way if you buy extra older ac adapters.

I have 45w, 65w, 90w. I see no reason why a 45w wouldn't work, it's not recommended in the literature, but maybe they didn't have 45w adapters when the external charger was designed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors