12-24-2015

USA

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad reliability?

2015-12-24, 15:54 PM

So I've heard Thinkpads were extremely reliable and had been recommended them by a couple of friends. Since then I've owned an X220 and a T430s. Reliability  is not the word I'd use to describe my experience. The X220 had issues because it never shut down, it would always reboot instead of shut down I believe this is a motherboard issue and is not something I would expect. The T430s had the latch of the screen break,. Also pretty strange considering I opened/closed the screen at most once a day on average, once to open it in the morning and once to close it in the evening. Before my Thinkpads I've had an Asus that lasted 5 years before having any issue (hard drive broke) and another asus vor about the same time.

I find this very unfortunate, because the build quality is great, the hardware configuration guide is superb, and I love the trackpoint. I find this very unfortunate because I absolutely love them while they work, they just don't seem to work very well for me. I'm wondering if I'm the only one that is having these reliability issues and that I am just "unlucky" when it comes to thinkpads, or that reliability just isnt one of their characteristics anymore?

Options

29 Posts

10-10-2015

Pennsylvania, USA

36 Signins

311 Page Views

• Views: 311
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad reliability?

2015-12-27, 16:44 PM

The Thinkpad used to be my laptop of choice.  Now I am almost frustrated to tears with them.

Of the more recent ones I have owned, my ThinkPad X220 acceptable, but the T450s I have now is a "hunk of junk".  My wife has an X230 which is greatly inferior to the X220.

Lenovo has truly strayed from the path with the recent Thinkpads.  Maybe, just maybe something will come of David Hills Retro Thinkpad Project.  Until then, my next laptop will probably be a Dell or HP---or at least something like a TouchPoint.

Options

75 Posts

05-02-2012

US

123 Signins

1306 Page Views

• Views: 1306
  • Message 3 of 8

2016-01-10, 1:43 AM

I was very happy with my T61 (still running) and T61p, which died after 7 years of daily use with famous 3 beeps (graphic CPU failure). I will fix it if I find a good deal on the MB

Now I have T530 for about 18 months (refurbished from Lenovo), running daily all the time, X230 running quite often (great price for a new machine on CL) and I am planning to buy used T430 as a spare, because I found a good deal on CL again. I will not upgrade, maybe W530, if I get a good deal, and I would not youch newer Lenovo machines.

Options

17 Posts

01-11-2016

England

14 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 4 of 8

2016-01-11, 13:30 PM

I have a nine year old X61 and it is awesome! I worship that little machine because its had a hard life and with the addition of a cheap SSD and a new battery a couple of years ago it still gives flawless service on basic tasks.

I've recently replaced my desktop with a T430s and while the machine is very good and as yet I've had no issues it just doesn't feel as well manufactured as the X61. It seems more flexible, loosely made and feels cheap.

This said we have hundreds of Thinkpads at work - mostly X220/230/240 and T420/430/440 - and I've not heard of one dying of its own accord yet. Normally user error or accident has been the cause of their demise. 

I think some of it the perceived lowering of quality is down to weight, customers want thin lightweight products and this inevitably is going to make them more sensitive and less tollerant of bangs and bumps. My old X61 is chunky and heavy which probably helps with the feeling of quality.

Options

3 Posts

11-30-2015

FI

5 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 5 of 8

2016-05-02, 12:02 PM

After 4½ yrs of successfull life with T420s, I swapped to "back then new" T450s. Such fail.

In its first 2½ months of use, it spent 2 weeks waiting for new MB, that would not be an DOA MB, to fix initial issues.

Initial issue was no power while booting. Just several blinks of power button following with a quick 1 sec power on moment - then back to the begining of the powercycle. And it kept doing it till power button was pressed till it powers down.

Yes, I did got the computer back, as fixed, but it did not last for a month. It died again with same symptoms.

Now the reason was, because this third replacement "mobo" had wrong size cpuheatexchanger. I did not cover the whole core of the cpu. It covered only an other half of the cpu. It took fair month to get repaired. For a computer with nbd warranty, that is not acceptable. yes I got an replacement computer for the time of repairs, but hey still, NBD is NBD, not next month someday.

Business devices have seriously had a out right "consumerization" in build quality and support resources. I think I will rather get an other brand nextime.

x260
M910q
Options

4 Posts

05-02-2016

US

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 6 of 8

2016-05-02, 13:32 PM
They used to be known for their quality and reliability as a business computer. 3 of my 7 Lenovo computers have had major issues since I purchased them...about 1 year old. I expect the others to have major issues in the near future. Terrible, terrible, technical/customer support.
Options

3 Posts

11-30-2015

FI

5 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 7 of 8

2016-10-14, 10:18 AM

Such solid trend of issues just does not end. T450s, I got rid of it. It had ultradock with it, got rid of that too.
Now I'm running with X260 and Pro Dock. Issues so far:

- ProDock and x260 do not support Display port adapter  DVI port usage. Yes it is there and yes it would work with other models than X260 but, hey, for me it is not available. So my external displays are connected with DisplayPort & and VGA which is the only available setup. Meaby a minor setback.

- Whilst on ProDock (tried with 2 units), my display blinks occasionally. For today, it has had 13 blinks with in past 3 hours. I had a 30min lunch within in that time range. DisplayPort connected display is the only one concerned with these issues. Nope I did not have this problem with T450s. That one just toasted its mother boards, where as this X260 does not do the same. I have tried to update firmware on dock, as well as drivers and bios on the X260. Those were not any good options.

- When on its own or on dock, X260 won't power up after : reboot, sleep or hibernation. It will do this:

* light up power button led.

* will turn up the fan on its full throttle.

* It will keep doin this till the battery or AC dries out. Unless I do long press with the power switch and do full reboot.

That was bit shocker as it did that when I had bios update scheduled for the next boot. Luckily it did not brick it self. It seems to be fully random occasion. You can never predict when it would happen. 2-4 times a week is usual pace for this event to occur.

I'd love to pick up the serialnumbers etc for this product but they are so well hidden under the battery that I refuse to seek for that info. Too well hidden... System Model 20F6007RMS is easily found with "msinfo" command.

Yes there is some good stuff with this unit. It is light weight, boots fast, battery span is super and build-in-display is seriously high quality for my liking. Keyboard.. Well back light is good with that one.

x260
M910q
Options

29 Posts

10-10-2015

Pennsylvania, USA

36 Signins

311 Page Views

• Views: 311
  • Message 8 of 8

Update

2016-10-14, 14:45 PM

I tried to sell my T450s but when I went to deliver it to the person I sold it to it was stone cold dead.  Unfortunately, it was out of warranty at that point and I refuse to spend good money after bad.

I recently acquired a Dell Precision 5510 to replace the T450s and I am quite happy.  So far, the only real problem is with the missing Home and End keys (Dell's biggest flaw).  I found a utility to repurpose the page-up and page-down keys.

I had looked at a T460 (not the s) and the P50s models (very similar laptops) and got some hands-on time with the P50s and a T460s.  I had been hopeful that with the P50s, in particular, Lenovo had addressed some of the shortcomings---especially with the TouchPoint---but they had not.  Besides, comparing the 5510 with the P50s/T460 was just sad.  The P50s/T60 is very outdated when comparing feature to feature---especially with the available connectors.

By the way, Dell's equivalent of the TouchPoint works very well.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save