Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark959
Paper Tape
Views: 224
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad t450 screen not lighting up

Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked around as best as I could with the search features, googling, etc.

The thinkpad powers on just fine, boots into windows, there is no backlighting at all. Had to use a flashlight to navigate. The red dot on the back of the screen for the i on thinkpad does light up though.

Is the screen bad, or is the cable loose? Should I try the motherboard side first or the display?

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 213
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad t450 screen not lighting up

It is impossible to say.  The screen could be bad.  The motherboard could have a problem - most likely a fuse.  The Hall sensor that switches when the lid hasclosed could have failed.  sorry.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Mark959
Paper Tape
Views: 208
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply. If the sensor was tripped, the LCD wouldn't be on and displaying though... right? The LCD works fine other than no back lighting. Guess I will have to tear into it and see what I can find. Hopefully something popped loose, but I will test the fuses too just in case. All else fails I get a nicer display Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 192
Message 4 of 6

no.  the sensor only shuts off the backlight

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Mark959
Paper Tape
Views: 147
Message 5 of 6

Do you know if there are any guides or manuals that document the internal hardware? I can take pictures of the insides too if that helps.

I have opened it but see no glaring issues, I will try to find the time to sit down and tinker on it more on my own. Thanks for your help

Mark959
Paper Tape
Views: 108
Message 6 of 6

Tested the big fuses i could find for conductance, f2,f10,f22 and one other IIRC. All seemed fine.

Finally found the hall sensor, there is a rectangular rare earth magnet at the edge of the laptop by the left n right mouse keys. You can find it with any ferro materials dragged on the casing.

The sensor appears to be on the same circuit board as the webcam in the screen. I havent dug into that to see if i can jump it or anything...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors