Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
santoshgartaula
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,832
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad t500 slow startup and shutdown

I have a thinkapd t500 machine type 2055. Even I tried 'msconfig' disabling the startup but it did not work.

The problems are:

i. Slow startup: It takes more than 2 minutes.

ii. Slow shut down: It takes more than 3 minutes.

Can you please help me?

Thank you.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,790
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad t500 slow startup and shutdown

Clear temporary files. CCleaner (free download) will do the cleanup pretty easily. Look and ensure all the right apps are checked (all browers) that are generating temp files.
Go the command mode c:\> (in adminstrator mode) CHKDSK /F then ENTER and Y
Reboot and if there are any NTFS issue they'll be corrected. When it comes back up then Defrag you drive C. It should be much better.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

krzysiuc
Punch Card
Views: 1,764
Message 3 of 4

I used to have T500 and with normal HDD, 2 minutes from cold start is not that bad. I had some heavy software installed, but usually it took maybe 5 mins before I could actually do something. Some solution is to never shutdown, just close the lid and let the system suspend.

Long shutdown could suggest some application running in the background, you could check that with task manager. I know sometimes apps like instant messengers, weather apps, etc can have long shutdown time. Try to close them yourself and then you see if this will speed up shutdown.

If nothing else, sometimes faulty HDD can cause freezes for a while, so you might schedule chkdsk with surface scan to make sure your hard drive is in good health.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,759
Message 4 of 4

@krzysiuc wrote:

I used to have T500 and with normal HDD, 2 minutes from cold start is not that bad. I had some heavy software installed, but usually it took maybe 5 mins before I could actually do something. Some solution is to never shutdown, just close the lid and let the system suspend.

Long shutdown could suggest some application running in the background, you could check that with task manager. I know sometimes apps like instant messengers, weather apps, etc can have long shutdown time. Try to close them yourself and then you see if this will speed up shutdown.

If nothing else, sometimes faulty HDD can cause freezes for a while, so you might schedule chkdsk with surface scan to make sure your hard drive is in good health.

If its a failing HD it will cause all sorts of problems especially if there are read issue. Go the device manager and look to see what HD you have. The model # will be there. If its Seagate Momentus for example go to their website and you can download a diagnostic tool for their drives and other sites for other OEM's. If its failing you'll certainly want to backup all data files (Mydocument folder & email files etc). An image backup to an external drive would also be good which you can us to rebuild the new HD with all the partitions. I use Acronis to do that mayself. I not familar if the Lenovo tools will do it and provide a boot disk to re install it but the Acronis softwre does.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors