Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ToutouVik
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 1 of 3

Thundebolt 3 Port on a T580?

Hello All,

What is the Thunderbolt 3 port on my Thinkpad T580 in relation to the cables that I find online? This is my first computer with USB C and Thunderbolt 3 so I'm having to buy new cables.

The Thunderbolt port in my T580 has a horizontal piece in the middle with a tiny vertical bit at each end of the horizontal piece, all of this being inside the port. All the Thunderbolt 3 cables that I see online look a bit like they would fit into a USB C / USB 3.1 port.

I have spent hours trawling online and also on Amazon and other sales sites looking for a diagram or similar showing what a Thunderbolt 3 and a USB 3 ports are supposed to look like, with no success.

I also see for sale on sites what seems to be cables for USB 3 compatible with a Thunderbolt 3 looking like the same thing but when I look at the ports in my T580 these ports are distinctly different.

Sorry to write so much but I've lost hours searching for the answer not wanting to write such an apparently stupid question !

ToutouVik

=========================================================

Hi,

As I have no takers on my problem I'm adding a photo of the ports in my Thinkpad T580, one USB C and the other a Thunderbolt as per the Lenovo spec., but again, the cable vendors announce thet a USB C, a USB 3.1 and a Thunderbolt cables are the same but the ports on the photo are evidently different. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks in advance for any information.

ToutouVik

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 340
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thundebolt 3 Port on a T580?

I believe that Thunderbolt, USB 3.1 and USB-C cables are all the same

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ToutouVik
Paper Tape
Views: 318
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thundebolt 3 Port on a T580?

Thanks for your reply Rich.

The thing I see on sales sites is that Thunderbolt 3, USB 3, abd USB 3.1 are the same but when I look at the ports on my computer they're different.lt

Also the only USB 3 plug that I have received for the moment, and all I can say is that it looks like USB 3 plugs that are sold on several sites, fits the USB 3 port but not the Thunderbolt 3 port on my new Thinkpad T580.

I deduce that there is a difference between the 2 ports but the more I try to understand the more confusing it all becomes.

ToutouVik

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors