Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brymerica
Paper Tape
Views: 1,109
Message 1 of 11

Thunderbolt on T470 does not work after BIOS update, cannot reinstall

My computer did a BIOS update yesterday and since then the Thunderbolt will not work (computer is connected typically to a Thunderbolt 3 docking station). 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Thunderbolt driver/software.

I get this response when I try to update the firmware :

Capture.JPG

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,045
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thunderbolt on T470 does not work after BIOS update, cannot reinstall

Are you using this package?  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

The error 0x20D about SDK_INVALID_OPERATION_IN_SAFE_MODE is abnormal and indicates a hardware problem.  Try shutting down the system, unplugging AC power, and using an unbent paperclip to press the button in the emergency reset hole on the bottom.  Then try the firmware update again.  If that doesn't work, I don't have another idea.

I was able to update the thunderbolt firmware on my T470 so I know the package itself is OK.

brymerica
Paper Tape
Views: 1,037
Message 3 of 11

Thanks.

That is the same package that I was trying to install.

I did the reset as you suggested and it still does not install.

Could it be a problem with the BIOS update from last week Thursday?  Could it have not performed the update correctly?  I tried to reinstall the BIOS but it says I have the correct version.  Or do I have to change the settings in the BIOS to allow for the update?

Everything was working great until Thursday evening when the BIOS was updated.

Thanks again. Hopeful for a solution of some sort.

Bryan

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,026
Message 4 of 11

I checked two T470 units here, they both have the latest BIOS and no trouble to install the latest Thunderbotl firmware either.  So I don't think this is a general problem.  You could try downgrading BIOS if you want.  The previous versions are available on the BIOS download webpage, just scroll down near the bottom and you will see them listed:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

Note that to downgrade BIOS, you have to change a BIOS setting, first.  Make sure Security -> UEFI BIOS Update Option -> Secure RollBack Prevention is set to disabled, otherwise you won't be able to downgrade BIOS.

muc
What's DOS?
Views: 918
Message 5 of 11

Any update on the topic? I have the same issue on my T470s. Did the firmware downgrade do the trick?

Phreakin
What's DOS?
Views: 845
Message 6 of 11

Please Lenovo tell me some good NEWS!

Tried every suggestion on offer none worked since automatic bios upgrade (shoud had disabled auto updates) 

Kinda Sucks as this was purchased FOR THE Thunderbolt port ............... Now have a $3500.00 audio card i cant use

Still getting Error when updating TB FW

Error: 0x20D SDK_INVALID_OPERATION_IN_SAFE_MODE -

Below is motherboard info for this laptop

Manufacturer LENOVO
Model 20HDA05EAU (U3E1)
Version SDK0J40697 WIN
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Kaby Lake
Chipset Revision 02
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model ID9D4E
Southbridge Revision 21
BIOS
Brand LENOVO
Version N1QET84W (1.59 )
Date 21/06/2019

brymerica
Paper Tape
Views: 825
Message 7 of 11

Nope, I downgraded the BIOS and it still did not work.

After spending so many hours on this, I purchased an "old school" dock to use in the interim -- at least I have a dock that can function. 

The thunderbolt dock is collecting dust for now -- was hoping others could help with a solution as it looks like I'm not the only one.

npapandreou
Serial Port
Views: 764
Message 8 of 11

Same problem here. Just lost the thunderbolt on my T470.

Nementon
Paper Tape
Views: 541
Message 9 of 11

Hi,

Today, I received my new Lenovo graphical dock ... and I got the same issue (First time to use thunderbolt).
After reading a lot of diffrent posts, I fall on that article: https://posts.nadim.computer/2018/10/26/repairing-a-thinkpad.html

This is clearly not the same issue as us, but I noticed something important, whatever how much is the thunderbolt firmware broken, flashing it with the right one shall fix it.

In my case, I'm using a T470s, but I guess that the step to fix it should be the same for the T470, except that you will need to use your specific version of the firmware for the thunderbolt controller.

Honestly, I do not understant what the "safe_mode" is, does it mean that the currently installed firmware is broken? Something went wrong during the previous firmware update? I'm not sure .... but clearly the issue here is that the firmware update software do not allow us to flash a new one when we are in this state. (i.e: We can't flash it due to a software issue, not a hardware one)

I tried to directly play with the CLI of the flashing tool to overcome the issue, but it was unssucefull.

Next, I tried to find an oldest version of the program, as a software engineer I know that the current software limitation may not exist in the past.
Unfortunatly, no way to find previous firmware on Lenovo support website.

Hopefully, I had a old firmware binary that was still hanging around on my system, I lookup on it, find its version named "N1**bleep**11W" and looked for it on google. Not a lot of results, but it's still available for download on the Chinese version of Lenovo website: https://think.lenovo.com.cn/support/driver/driverdetail.aspx?DEditid=18058&docTypeID=DOC_TYPE_DRIVER...

And guess what? by using that version of the software, the "safe_mode" is not an issue anymore. The sotfware will just yell a warning message saying that no all checks could be performed due to safe mode ... Yes!

Here how to fix it:
- 1. Download the last thunderbolt firmware resvision for your computer from Lenove website
- 2. Start it's installation, extract its files (by default they are put under C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt_FW ), after that, uncheck the installtion box, stop here
- 3. Download the old firmware from the link above
- 4. Start it's installation, extract its files into an other folder, uncheck the installtion box, stop here
- 5. Copy the new firmware binary file (naming could change, mine was  "C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt_FW\AssistTBT.bin") into the old firmware folder
- 6. Rename it for "TBT.bin" (if it wasn't the case)
- 7. Execute the old firmware updater software (FwUpdateTool1906.exe)

Et voila, now everything works on my side and I can enjoy my external GTX 1050 Smiley Happy !

Lenovo_user350
What's DOS?
Views: 402
Message 10 of 11

Thank you, I followed Nementon's method and fixed my t580!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors