Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tuur
Paper Tape
Views: 164
Message 1 of 4

Toshiba SDD End of Life in T440p ?

My trustworthy T440p is approaching it's 5 yr Bday. And I am trying to check the health of the system. One of the components I am looking at is a 256Gb SDD (Toshiba THNSFJ256GCSU), which - according to product specs has a guaranteed lifetime of 5 yrs.

Naturally, I don't expect it to die on 5 yrs +1 day, but nevertheless I am wondering about the health of the SDD. I used CrystalDiskInfo, which didn't find any red flags. Total bad block count is limited to 64. So all is good?

Main question I have: how long should I expect the SDD to keep functioning. Is there a way to check/ measure this?

Thx for any advice

Tuur

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 156
Message 2 of 4

Re: Toshiba SDD End of Life in T440p ?

I have had SSDs die the first month and have some that lasted many years,  and old ones that are still being used.  I use them until they die or get sick, but I take backups, whether they are new or old

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 89
Message 3 of 4

@tuur wrote:

Main question I have: how long should I expect the SDD to keep functioning. Is there a way to check/ measure this? 

You might want to try Toshiba's own SSD Utility. Among other features, "Health Monitoring: Check in on how much life is left in your SSD, find out if your SSD is hooked up to the suitable ports, and set in the correct modes to achieve high performance."

Paper Tape
Views: 79
Message 4 of 4

Thanks - but that gave even less info than the CrystalDiskinfo. I tried the SDD utitily - but is says "no supported drives found". FWIW: my toshiba SDD is controlled by an Intel SATA AHCI Controller. Maybe the SDD utitlity has limited legacy support...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors