Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
Message 1 of 10 (3,311 Views)

TrackPoint clicks on its own

For the past week or two it seems that the mouse clicks on its own on my T420. This is in TrackPoint only mode (TouchPad disabled) with press to select disabled.

This issue is reproducible as it generally happens right after a normal click or unclick. For example, if I highlight text in a word processor by clicking and dragging my cursor over the text when I release the button the system registers a phantom click within the next second or so. I also have noticed these phantom clicks after middle clickling.

Does this sound like a possible driver issue or should I go ahead and call to have a tech come out and replace parts?

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Community Moderator
Message 2 of 10 (3,282 Views)

Re: TrackPoint clicks on its own

@nibs,

Try uninstalling UltraNav, reboot the laptop then install it back and see if it helps.

If problem persist then I guess its time to contact the techs.
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10 (3,111 Views)

I've tried uninstall/reinstall ultranav but still have this issue. Any updates on this?
Community Moderator
Message 4 of 10 (3,085 Views)

I disabled my TouchPad for 2 days however was not getting any random clicks ... but I am using an external mouse ... are you using the trackpoint only when you face this issue?
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Guru
Message 5 of 10 (3,072 Views)

[ Edited ]

I was using the TrackPoint only when I had this issue. The temporary solution for me was to disable the touch pad in the BIOS. The final solution was to have the keyboard replaced. I normally only have the touch pad disabled (TrackPoint only) in the FN+F8 menu, because I want the option to turn the touch pad on if I need to let someone else use my computer.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Guru
Message 6 of 10 (3,064 Views)

nibs wrote:

I was using the TrackPoint only when I had this issue. The temporary solution for me was to disable the touch pad in the BIOS. The final solution was to have the keyboard replaced. I normally only have the touch pad disabled (TrackPoint only) in the FN+F8 menu, because I want the option to turn the touch pad on if I need to let someone else use my computer.

I ran into a similar problem with the TrackPoint on my T430s while travelling overseas recently. Like you I have the TouchPad disabled only in software, i.e. not in BIOS. The double-clicking and other weird effects seemed related to contact bounce. I've used many other ThinkPads and TrackPoints over the years without ever experiencing this behaviour.

Now back at home I use an external keyboard and mouse so I've not persued this further other than to upgrade BIOS to v1.3. I'll try out the TrackPoint with TouchPad disabled in both software and BIOS when I travel again in about a week. If that doesn't rectify the problem I'll be calling Lenovo for a new keyboard.

Message 7 of 10 (3,059 Views)

Thanks nibs and hausman,

Let me try to use the TrackPoint only for today. First let me hide my external mouse ... =D
*Non Lenovo employee*

Guru
Message 8 of 10 (3,057 Views)

What do you do with the external mouse? I use the TrackPoint for everything, and the only reason I would want a mouse is for something like an FPS.

Community Moderator
Message 9 of 10 (3,055 Views)

I am helpless without a mouse =( ... Use trackpoint only when scrolling documents such as HMM and PSrefs =D
*Non Lenovo employee*

Guru
Message 10 of 10 (3,039 Views)

nibs wrote:

What do you do with the external mouse? I use the TrackPoint for everything, and the only reason I would want a mouse is for something like an FPS.

At home/office my ThinkPads have always been docked and connected to external monitor, keyboard and mouse. I only use the TrackPoint when travelling. Although I have the Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse which is relatively small and light, I never take it with me when travelling.