Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
HDMI
Message 1 of 5 (6,148 Views)

Trackpoint Drifting after let go

Does anyone else have this problem?  Where the cursor keeps drifting after you let go when you are using the trackpoint?

It doesn't do it all the time for me, but when it does, it kinda gets on my nerves.  Kinda takes the extra percision advantages away.

Thanks!

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
Punch Card
Message 2 of 5 (6,116 Views)

Re: Trackpoint Drifting after let go

yeah i have that problem, and i have a friend with the same problem. its just because the rubber doesnt stay seated right on the piece is sitting on, if you push on it too hard. thats my guess, but i could be wrong. i notice if i dont push on the rubber part very hard it keeps that from happening. for some reason i always push straight down on the rubber piece and thats when it does it the most.
T400
Intel® Core™2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz__Windows 7 Professional__3GB Memory__160GB, 7200RPM Hard Drive__14.1” WXGA+TFT-CFL__ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470--
HDMI
Message 3 of 5 (6,101 Views)

Thanks for the advice!  I will lighten my touch settings and see if that helps!

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 5 (5,777 Views)

[ Edited ]

lol. It's the trackpoint recalibrating itself. Whenever the trackpoint detects slight constant pressure in a certain direction for more than a second or so, it assumes that it is not being pressed but is drifting erroneously, and so it zeros the offset away. The problem arises when you execute a motion that could be mistaken as drift, and then the trackpoint calibrates your motion away, causing it to drift when you release, until it has recalibrated.

Here is how you can test it: Move the pointer very slowly sideways with a constant force (don't let it hit the screen's edge), but close your eyes so that you don't sub-consciously increase pressure when it slows down. Do this for about three seconds and then open your eyes (without changing the force on the trackpoint). If you were using low enough force (and if your trackpoint sensitivity is set to a high enough level) you will notice that it has come to a stop. It has calibrated your force away. Now release it, and notice that it drifts in the opposite direction for a second or so, until it has recalibrated (correctly).

SCSI Port
Message 5 of 5 (5,745 Views)

This has annoyed me a lot as well, and I think I've found a solution, for Linux only, however.

There are multiple "acceleration profiles" that one can select for the X pointer. If any except the default are selected, the drifting does not seem to occur... After lots of testing I settled on profile 7, with these settings (these commands run at every X startup from ~/.xinitrc for me):

sh -c 'sleep 2 ; xset m 3 3' &
sh -c 'sleep 2.1 ; xinput --set-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Device Accel Profile" 7' &
sh -c 'sleep 2.2 ; xinput --set-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 2.0' &

The sleep is needed to bypass Gnome's own mouse setup, which is more basic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T430: i7-3520M, NVS5400, 1600x900, SSD+HDD. Debian + Windows7.
Top kudoed Authors