Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mechatronic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,471
Message 1 of 8

Triple monitors with Thinkpad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 T520

Hi,

I have Lenovo T520 with Mini Dock Plus Series 3 docking station.

I would like to connect three monitors, i.e., two dviports and third one is the T520 monitor.

I have updated my video driver to Interl (R) Graphics 3000 Driver.

When I'm trying to run the NVIDIA Graphicdriver, i got an error message "The graphic driver is not compatible with the graphic hardware". I've tried to find a possible solution from the Lenovo forum

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Options-Accessories/Mini-Dock-Plus-Series-3-with-Triple-Monitors/td-p/57...

It says that I have to enable Optimus in the system.

I can't figure it found where can I enable Optimus?

Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I can set it up using two DVI ports instead of using vga?

Regards,

mechatronic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,460
Message 2 of 8

Re: Triple monitors with Thinkpad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 T520

I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
mechatronic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,412
Message 3 of 8

Hi all,

I'm still looking for the solution but alas can't find.

I've read that i need optimus technology

The Lenovo ThinkPad T520 comes equipped with Nvidia's Optimus technology, allowing it to automatically switch between its integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 and its discrete Nvidia NVS 4200M GPU with 1GB of VRAM for optimal performance and battery life "

I can only see Intel HD Graphics 3000 in Device Manager but no Nvidia Graphics? Can anyone help me where can I find it?

Thanks in advance

TheDude
802.11n
Views: 2,388
Message 4 of 8

Do you have the nVidea discrete graphics or only the intel integrated - T520 came with either configuraiton as an option.  If only intel integrated you can not drive 3 screens.

Even with the nVidea, I may be wrong, but I think optimus is limited to 2 screens when outputting through the intel screen buffer.  I'm not sure that you will get this to work.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
mechatronic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,378
Message 5 of 8

Than you for your reply.

I have only Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000.

I've bought docking station "Thinkpad Mini Dock Plus Series 3"  to extend the number of displays. As per your comment, it seems that I can't manage to have multiple monitors using intel graphic card. Can you tell me how can I extend the number of displays? Do I need to buy external nVidea card?

TheDude
802.11n
Views: 2,352
Message 6 of 8

With the internal intel graphics 2 screens is your maximum.. I think that you could add a port replicator with digital video in addition to your docking staiton (Part Number 0A33942) - you need to do a bit mroe research to confirm that will work and the quality/usefulness of the solution is limited.  You really have the wrong configuration to run more than 2 screens.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,335
Message 7 of 8

you can split your displayport into 2 DVI or DP ports using something like a Displayport splitter. It will treat two LCD as one giant LCD. I use this to drive 4 displays (U2410) on my ThinkPad T420 with the Intel GPU. Otherwise you would need USB display adapters (but they hog CPU resources and slow down computer, also they don't provide a lot of graphical performance).

P.S. Obviously the Vidock 4 and eGPU option is also open to you.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
mechatronic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,294
Message 8 of 8

Thank you all guys.

While constantly looking for a solution to extend the number of monitor. I've managed to find a solution. Today i got "I-TEC USB 2.0 Display Video Adapter " and connected it with one of the USB port. It works quite well and I'm also satisfied with the video quality. I can seperately used the third monitor. It is also possible to share the display between the second and thrid monitor.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors