English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops Knowledge Base

Typed password not working with Fingerprint reader

<H2>Question</H2> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p> <p>I'm trying to get the Thinkvantage Fingerprint&nbsp;Reader software working on a T500 laptop. The software itself is working correctly, and logging the user involved in when used, however when the user tries to use ctrl-alt-del and use their password to log in, it comes up with a prompt stating "You are limited to use fingerprint only to log into Windows."</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, as well as&nbsp;erasing the stored fingerprints and re-adding them. This issue does not seem to occur for me (however I have an admin account on the notebook in question).&nbsp; The laptop is running windows XP.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p> <H2>Answer</H2> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Open the fingerprint software and click on the settings toolbar button there should be a setting under the "Authentication" tab that says "Require fingerprint logon for non-administrator users". If that one is checked only administrators on the local machine can logon using username/password. If checked try to remove this setting and see if that will fix the problem.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

Was this information helpful?

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop