cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scareduser
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,377
Message 1 of 6

URGENT! BIOS update on Thinkpad T420 takes too long. PLEASE HELP!

Hello all,
This is my first post, wish it would've been on a better occasion... Smiley Happy

I think my attempt to update BIOS with a "BIOS update bootable CD" method has failed! Smiley Sad

My laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T420, i5 @ 2.5GHz, 4 GB RAM.

My old BIOS infos (taken from Setup before update attempt):

UEFI BIOS Version       83ET52WW (1.22)
UEFI BIOS Date (Year-Month-Day)         2011-03-24
Embedded Controller Version     83HT27WW (1.11)

I intended to update my BIOS to version 1.46 using "BIOS Update Bootable CD"  from this link: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018784

Steps:

1) I downloaded this ISO image: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/83uj28us.iso and burned it on a DVD-RW(DVD rewritable) medium.

2) I placed the DVD in my T420 and turned it off, then turned it on, select F12 (boot menu), selected DVD to boot from, and the BIOS update utility started.

3) In BIOS update utility I pressed "1" to read the instructions, then press "2" to update BIOS. I clicked "Y" to confirm and the update operation started.  First it said " Now updating... ", then afer about 2 minutes, it said "Still updating ..." and it stucked like this.

So, right now, this message stays on my screen for about 1,5 hours(!!!):

<quote>

Still updating...

It may take about a few minutes.

<<< CAUTION >>>

Do not turn off the computer during the update.

Do not remove the CD during the update.

</quote>

Other details (on system setup and current behaviour): AC was continously plugged in before&during BIOS update, battery is OK,  no hard disk activity at all, keyboard is(seems) unresponsive, system's temperature is pretty high, but not dangerously high...

Questions:

Anyone experienced similar problem on T420 or other similar Thinkpad??? How were they solved?

What should I do next?

How long should I wait?

How should I attempt to stop this endless "Still updating ..."  ?

SO PLEASE HELP WITH ADVICE OR ANSWERS!

Please ask any additional details, I'll do my best to answer.

This is really urgent for me!

Thank you in advance!

scareduser
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,319
Message 2 of 6

Re: URGENT! BIOS update on Thinkpad T420 takes too long. PLEASE HELP!

Current situation: same as described in the first post, it's stucked at "Still updating..." for over 9 hours!!

Now it's clear for me that this is a failed BIOS update.

Anyone any advice on what to do next???

Important info: This T420 laptop is in warranty until 2015.

Should I power it off and back on and check what happens?

Should I leave it running and contact a service and try to take it there in this stucked state?

Please write any hints!

Regards.

scareduser
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,273
Message 3 of 6

Well, all is well when it ends well! Smiley Very Happy
And this was my case too. Smiley Happy My T420 is OK!

So, I'm telling the whole story, maybe it will help someone.

Next day after my BIOS update attempt, so after about 12+ hours of stucking at "Still updating", I took the T420 (powered on !)  to a local Lenovo authorized service.

A nice guy took over, he quickly realized that all keyboard keys are unresponsive, on short that the laptop is completely frozen. Smiley Tongue

Then it forced the shutdown using power key (pressing it for ~ 5 seconds). And then it attempt to power it on again. And...it worked! Smiley Very Happy

Laptop and OS powered on as nothing would have happened, aaand ... BIOS was updated to version 1.46! Smiley Happy)

The only "dirty" thing was that Embedded Controller Program (ECP) was still at the old version(1.11).

So the service guy burned the bootable CD ISO on another medium and quickly attempted a 2nd try to upgrade.

And ... again ... it worked like a charm! Smiley Very Happy

All operations took way under 2 minutes, and I ended up with a completely updated BIOS (BIOS itself  and the ECP).

That's it!  Smiley Very Happy

Why it stucked in my attempt?

I can think of:

- bad DVD-RW medium;

- corrupted ISO image downloaded (btw, are there MD5 sums or SHA1 sums for the ISOs on Lenovo site?)

- any other causes? This thread is open for comments Smiley Happy

Again, that's it folks. It seems it's not so easy to "brick" your Thinkpad T420 laptop ! Smiley Tongue

Guru
Views: 12,239
Message 4 of 6

I'd say this was a lucky bet. Had it not been properly flashed it would have bricked it.

I'm thinking it might just have been a random failure. The update tool should have verified integrity after burning and before flashing, but you never know.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
SpoiledMilk
Paper Tape
Views: 11,486
Message 5 of 6

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, @scareduser!

I was in the very same situation, and I wouldn't have known what to do if it weren't for your detailed post. Smiley Wink

Obviously, I'd have to refer to an authorized service as well.

I encountered an extra obstacle, given that my drives are encrypted. In particular, I had to find a recovery key for the local drive. Eventually, everything turned out just right, so I feel relieved. Smiley Very Happy

Once again, thanks so much, @scareduser. I believe I was just as scared as you were.

Cheers!

salle071
Paper Tape
Views: 11,069
Message 6 of 6

If these long boot symptoms, following the BIOS update occur, multiple customers have reported success in resolving them  by disabling Intel AMT and setting the security chip, TPM, as active in the BIOS.

Steps to disable Intel AMT and enable TPM settings as below.

1. Boot into BIOS
  2. Select Config
  3. Select Intel AMT
  4. Press Enter key on Intel AMT Control and select Disable
  5. Press ESC twice
  6. Select Security
  7. Select Security chip and select Enable
  8. Press F10 and click Yes.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors