Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitneyann
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,311
Message 1 of 5

Unable to encrypt drive using BitLocker on T440s running Windows 10

I am trying to encrypt my drive using BitLocker. I am saving the key to a USB drive, only encrypting used data, and using new encryption mode. I then run system check before encrypting the drive, and when I restart my computer, I get the following message: "BitLocker could not be enabled. The BitLocker encryption key cannot be obtained from the Trusted Platform Module (TPM). C: was not encrypted."

BitLocker Error.JPG

I've done some troubleshooting elsewhere, but can't find any info to help me. I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a Lenovo T440s machine. My TPM is initialized, owned and running, so I'm not sure what to do there. Here are images of my TPM from Device Manager.

TPM Info.JPGTPM Driver Info.JPG

I'm at a loss, and I definitely need to be able to encrypt my drive. Does anyone have any information? If you need more information about my system, BIOS, etc., I'll be happy to oblige.

Thank you.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 6,306
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to encrypt drive using BitLocker on T440s running Windows 10

My guess is that you deployed Win10 in legacy mode, instead of UEFI mode.  You can confirm this in msinfo32.exe, look for "BIOS Mode" in the right-hand panel.  It needs to be "UEFI" if you want to use TPM 2.0.  

whitneyann
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,296
Message 3 of 5

Ah, you're right, it is Legacy. This may be a dumb question, how would I put it into UEFI mode? And would that have consequences for my OS or applications?

Thank you!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 6,288
Message 4 of 5

One way is turn on Secure Boot in BIOS setup and then re-install Win10.  But if you need to convert your existing legacy installation to UEFI, maybe you can find some tips on google how to do that (but I don't think MSFT supports this).

whitneyann
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,283
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for your help!

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors