cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hunton
Paper Tape
Views: 784
Message 1 of 8

Unable to install Bios update for the Spectre vulnerability in unattended mode . Thinkpad T540P

Hello. I have followed the directions as mentionned here: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/gmuj26us.txt

I started by trying to install it silently but it didn't work. Then I tried to install it manually and it worked correctly.

I grabbed another T540P to try it silently again but the same issue is happening.

Here is the content of the Winuptp.log:

[2018/1/11 14:8:55]
OS = Windows 10 64bit
Flash module cannot be found.

It obviously cannot see the flash EXE even though I made sure it was in the same folder

fyi I am running %filepath%\WINUPTP64.EXE -s

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hunton
Paper Tape
Views: 500
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to install Bios update for the Spectre vulnerability in unattended mode . Thinkpad T540P

bumping this as I never got an answer and the issue still occurs with the latest patch

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 482
Message 3 of 8

Re: Unable to install Bios update for the Spectre vulnerability in unattended mode . Thinkpad T540P

I have heard this same issue from another customer, but I don't see this problem here.

When the other customer tried a clean Win10 image (not their corporate image), then the problem doesn't happen.

So I think there is something in your OS image that causes this problem, but I have no idea what it is.

Sorry, but I have no idea other than trial-and-error by removing different software from your image until you find out what causes this problem to happen.  If you can figure out how I can reproduce the same problem here, I will investigate it.

Hunton
Paper Tape
Views: 480
Message 4 of 8

I am working with really limited ressources here. I cannot test on multiple computers so I had to test it on my personal computer and one other.

Can you tell me if you have tested it on a computer that doesn't have a bios password.

I worked on some laptops from another brand that we have, The installer required a certain encrypted file with the bios password in it.

I am guessing that could be the issue, the thing is there is no help with the file from lenovo when I user  filename.exe -help or /?.

Thanks for your reply

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 476
Message 5 of 8

Yes, we have tested it on a computer that doesn't have a BIOS password.

Do you have a BIOS (supervisor) password?  If so, is the BIOS setting about "Flash BIOS Updating by End-Users" enabled or disabled?

Hunton
Paper Tape
Views: 458
Message 6 of 8

Thanks again for your reply. I verified and we do have the Bios Supervisor password and the Flash Bios updating by End-Users is set to enabled.

Let me know if you need more informations.

Thanks!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 445
Message 7 of 8

Sorry, I confused your issue with another issue.

I think your issue is caused by not setting a working directory.

For example, following command doesn't work:

c:\drivers\flash\gmuj27us\winuptp.exe

The error is "Flash Module cannot be found.  The utility process has not completed".

However, if I split this into 2 commands, it works:

cd \drivers\flash\gmuj27us

winuptp.exe

"winuptp.exe -s" works the same way.  Knowing this, can you avoid the problem?

Hunton
Paper Tape
Views: 440
Message 8 of 8

Thank you very much for your help. It worked like a charm. I really didn't expect that executing it from the current folder could change something.

Have a great day, because you just made mine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors