Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,001
Message 1 of 19

Unable to perform factory restore, ThinkPad T440P Windows 7

Hi all,

I've created both a dvd set and an usb key with the recovery media with . When testing these media on a blank hard disk I'm unable to get a factory state or anything for that matter restored.

Both DVD's and USB key are bootable and contain the large wim files. But windows keeps asking for a backup image. Any insight on how to restore the factory state on a blank hard disk?

This is Windows 7 x64 prof factory installed on a new T440P

The tool I've used is called "Lenovo - Factory Recovery Disks" in the control panel (c:\program files (x86)\lenovo\factory recovery\recovburncd.exe" and offers both an usb key and dvd's as medium. I've created both.

You can also start either from the q: drive or from the Lenovo Solution Center System tab the "Lenovo Factory Backup Partition Information" tool. But that launches the afore mentioned tool when asked to create recovery media.

When a blank harddrive is installed and the recovery media is booted I cannot restore anything. If I start the recovery media with F8 whetever option I choose, like safe mode with command prompt, I always end with message box titled "System Recovery Options" telling me it cannot find a recovery image.

Much appreciated,

Wes

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,984
Message 2 of 19

Re: Unable to perform factory restore, ThinkPad T440P Windows 7

How are you attempting to do this? 

If you've put a blank disk in the laptop, how is Windows even a factor here?

Restore programs are generally self-contained and run on boot before Windows ever loads.

Highlighted
frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,976
Message 3 of 19

I've created the media with the supplied Lenovo tool. (The tool one the q: drive with which you can only create the media once)

The recovery media contains a bootable Windows. Which looks like the Windows installer but now with a Lenovo background. That's the Windows factor.

I presumed that it (the windows on the recovery media) would pickup the wim files, partition my empty disk in a c: and a q: and restore everything.

Yes, usually a drive image application like ghost or acronis can restore from some other lightweight os. But I don't know what to expect regarding the "factory restore" from Lenovo. I don't care if they use Ghost from FreeDOS, some Windows tool from the Windows installer. I just want to get the hard disk back in factory condition including all the vaporware.

Thanks for looking into this.

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,962
Message 4 of 19

I don't think that you get the Q drive back if you've made the media.  Not sure on that, though.

So, you're pressing F12 from a cold start?  And selecting the optical drive as the boot device, and Disk 1 is in there?

frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,955
Message 5 of 19

Yes, I boot from dvd or usb. The "recovery windows" boots and complains that it can't find an image to restore.

The second dvd isn't bootable I tried that but I didn't try the remaining discs. Only the first. Behaviour is the same off dvd and usb key,.

@Skoop, if the 14GB of recovery media cannot restore everything that would be pretty absurd don't you think? What's the purpose of it otherwise. These disc's aren't backups, they are ment to restore a blank system to factory conditions (including all the valuable tools)

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,950
Message 6 of 19

I'm not sure that anything is being restored at all, but it may just be how you've described it. 

You're trying to run this from the T440p powered off, right?  And not just on a restart?

Do you not get a recovery menu?

frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,946
Message 7 of 19

I've powered down the machine. Inserted a new blank harddisk. Powered on the laptop. Pressed enter or F12 to select either usb or builtin optical drive. And the "recovery windows" boots and asks about an image. No menu appears. I can load a driver or browse for an image file. Thats about it.

Again thanks for looking into this.

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,940
Message 8 of 19

Looks to me like your recovery set is faulty.

How did you make it?
frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,932
Message 9 of 19

@Skoop,

Both (usb key and dvd) sets were made with the Lenovo utility, which auto desctructs after usage. Both sets were made without anything indicating failure. I've ticked both "boot" and "recovery" media in the utility. Both sets boot fine but don't recover.

What I would like to know is wheter or not one can recreate the factory condition on a blank drive (as advertised and the utility suggests)  and if this is possible how should one create and use the recovery media. This is on a feb 2014 T440P factory downgraded from Win 8 to Win 7 prof x64. Lenovo only ships physical Windows 8 recovery media not Windows 7 recovery media.

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,927
Message 10 of 19

wheter or not one can recreate the factory condition on a blank drive

Of course.  What if your first drive failed completely?  You'd have to have a replacement option.

Edit:  when it starts on the DVD, does it boot to Windows directly or do you see a white-on-black progress bar at bottom "Windows is loading files."?

Edit 2:  No menu appears.

Ok, I just tried it with mine.  I did the same thing.  Made the recovery set from Q drive, then blew away Q to recover the space.    I've turned my T440p off, with DVD 1 of the set in a USB optical drive (I have a 2nd hard drive in the bay).  It starts, "Windows is loading files" happens, then I get the ThinkVantage Recovery program menu.  With radio buttons, I can choose just C: for recovery, or Windows and data, too, because, like you, I made my recovery set specifying the whole enchilada. 

I bailed at that point because I don't want it to proceed. 

If you're not seeing something like this, then your set is bum, I would guess. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors