Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,388
Message 11 of 19

Re: Unable to perform factory restore, ThinkPad T440P Windows 7

@Skoop,

do you have a comparable machine, build date and OS? If so have you tried this procedure yourself? If not please contribute something more usefull. Because this isn't really getting me anywhere. Given the many number of issues with recent Lenovo Thinkpads it's not unreasonable from my part to assume that this feature is broken.

To answer your questions,

The system boots.

The progress bar appears at the bottom (twice) once very fast and the second time stalling at the end.

A background image appears, with lenovo in the top right corner and an ancient lifesaver on the left.

In the center a dialog titled System Recovery Options appears which asks for a language and keyboard. I press next.

In the center a dialog titled System Recovery Options appears with two radio buttons "use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows" and default selected "Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier" Again, I press next.

Than it prompts "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer", that's the end.

Hope that this helps more.

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,379
Message 12 of 19

Mine is a Win 7 64 device built in December.

The menu that you describe reads like a standard Windows-created recovery disk, not the ThinkVantage recovery tool menu. Definitely not the same behavior.

In a grayed-out dropped down box is listed my C: drive. It says, in effect, if this box is grayed-out, then choose either of the two options that I described above:

I'm looking at it right now--

Select the restoration method.

Restore the Windows partition (C Partition) only

or

Restore to factory default state (all data on the system hard disk drive will be lost).

Yeah, I'd say you're working from a recovery disk that Windows asks you to make after you create a system image using Backup and Restore in Windows itself.

When I ordered mine, Windows 7 was a discrete choice.  I wonder if, when you ordered yours, that a downgrade version was something different in all of this.  Maybe that's where the problem is.  Nevertheless, your Disk 1 definitely doesn't do what mine does. 

frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,371
Message 13 of 19

Now where're getting somewhere. I've ordered mine with Windows 7 directly from Lenovo. But since Windows 7 isn't sold anymore the only way is to buy Windows 8 and downgrade to Windows 7. That's at least how Lenovo advertises the Windows 7 option.

I've swapped back the original disk.

The tool I've used is called "Lenovo - Factory Recovery Disks" in the control panel (c:\program files (x86)\lenovo\factory recovery\recovburncd.exe" and offers both an usb key and dvd's as medium. I've created both.

You can also start either from the q: drive or from the Lenovo Solution Center System tab the "Lenovo Factory Backup Partition Information" tool. But that launches the afore mentioned tool when asked to create recovery media.

So if I did something wrong please let me know. But from an end user perspective I think I followed a reasonable path.

Again all thanks for looking into this.

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,353
Message 14 of 19

I made my disk set by clicking on Q drive in Explorer.  Doing so pops up a menu to make the restore set and to recover the disk space taken up by Q after making the restore disk set. 

I did both.  It took 5 DVD-Rs to complete the set.  After that, I recovered the drive space.  Q is now gone and the partition space extended into C:

So, it worked for me.  I suppose you could try it again that way, if you still have Q and some more disks.  Otherwise, I'm out of ideas and anecdotes.

frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,347
Message 15 of 19

I made mine more or less the same (as described earlier), but I did not recover the space take by the Q: partition.

Next I boot dvd 1 and than it asks for an image. (so earlier posts)

Did you actually try to recover onto a blank/new harddisk?

What happens after dvd 1 has booted? When does it ask for another disk?

Many thanks

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,334
Message 16 of 19

After "Windows is loading files", a desktop appears with a Lenovo banner.  It's got the life preserver logo on it.  It asks for a language, but not a keyboard like yours is doing, and there is language describing the program.  Click "Next", and I see what I wrote earlier.  It IDs the hard drive (C) where it's going to restore, and it gives two options, as also described above. 

If I click "Next" again, it says that it's going to proceed to restore the option that was previously checked, but I haven't clicked through that because I don't want to do a restore.  I can't answer when it's going to ask for another disk because it appears that it's going to begin the restore on Disk 1 itself, and ask for Disk 2 when that is done. 

If you're not seeing something like this, then I don't think you've got a recovery package there that's like mine.  The behaviour that you described before about it asking for language AND keyboard--I reiterate that that looks like a Windows recovery operation, not a Lenovo one.   The fact that it's telling you "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer" is pretty good evidence that you've got a Windows recovery disk, one that you'd use if you created a system image using Windows. 

I did NOT create my recovery set through a Control Panel applet as you did.  Maybe that's the difference, but I don't know why.

frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,326
Message 17 of 19

I think we've created excactly the same recovery media. What you describe is the same I've seen and described. The only difference is that you didn't test it on a blank disk like I did. So probably your recovery won't work either.

I'll hope someone will chime in and let us both know what happens next.

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,316
Message 18 of 19

Maybe, maybe not.  Doesn't matter to me.  Once I made that set, deleted Q, and configured the new computer to my liking and got all the Windows Updates done, I made an image of it with Macrium Reflect, which I know will work.  I made the Lenovo set to use in case I sell the PC.

Recommend you do the same.  Image your existing drive and restore it with Macrium to the new one. 

frontlight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,311
Message 19 of 19

@Skoop,

I've done and want the same. Apparently the last goal isn't met yet. I've tested it, you didn't (apart from booting)

Anybody can shed some light on this?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors