02-15-2019

GB

17 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 1 of 5

T430 Win7 - Unexpected boot menu offering System Image Restore

2019-02-15, 20:32 PM

I have just acquired a refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad T430 laptop. It has had Windows 7 Professional cleanly (re)installed.  I have come across a slightly odd problem and would welcome advice.

I noticed that on initial boot up, a boot menu-screen flashed up very briefly with two options - 'Boot to Windows', or 'Restore the original Windows Image'. The latter choice came with a warning note at the bottom of the menu screen that this would erase all existing data. In any case the delay default is only about 2 secs, because if 'Restore Original Image' is not selected (and I have no wish to do so) it then boots up by default into Win7.

Comment: I have other computers with Win7 installed and have never seen this menu appear on booting any of them.

When I looked at the hard drive partitions, I noticed that there were already three primary partitions on the hard drive: 100MB System Reserved (which is normal and to be expected), 13GB Recovery, and the main Win7 partition.

I had been thinking of installing Linux Mint as dual-boot alongside Win7.  However when I began running the Mint installer, I noticed that it said there were "multiple OSs already on the system".

Comment: I thought that a bit odd, but assumed that maybe it was seeing the existing Recovery partition as containing a duplicate, or image, of the Win7 OS.

I therefore did not proceed with the Linux dual boot install.  I want to do so using EasyBCD.  But before doing so I need to be clear what this unusual initial boot menu screen is, and why it appears before the boot process starts. 

I can find no clues in the msconfig Boot and Startup tabs.  Is this initial screen related to the Lenovo ThinkVantage Recovery arrangements?  Has the MBR been modified so that it offers this display choice (boot normally or restore a system image) before it actually begins the boot process?  If so, how can I "undo" this modification?

Options

5 Posts

02-15-2019

GB

17 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: T430 Win7 - Unexpected boot menu offering System Image Restore

2019-02-22, 11:10 AM

One week.... 70 views.... not a single response.

Is there any chance that someone with knowledge and experience of Lenovo machines might be willing to explain why I get an unusual boot menu as soon as I power up the laptop? 

Just to set out the questions in nice simple terms:

- That menu offers two options:  to boot into Windows, or to wipe the hard drive and Restore Original System Image.  It disappears after 2-3 seconds, and the computer boots normally.

- Is this related to the Lenovo Recovery arrangements?

- Does it indicate that the MBR and BCD have been modified?

- If so, how can I "undo" this modification?

I'd appreciate some sort of reply.  Isn't that what support forums are for?

Options

5 Posts

02-15-2019

GB

17 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2019-03-01, 22:55 PM

Two weeks, no replies........

Hellooooo - is anybody there?

Do Lenovo forum members have to end up holding conversations with themselves?

Advice from other forums with more responsive members has helped me to understand a little better what the issues might be with my T430.  But the bottom line is that it is a problem that flows from the way that Lenovo configures the Recovery arrangements.  So I do need someone who has Lenovo expertise to explain and - I hope - suggest solutions.

The problem is that Lenovo (OEM?) appears to have customised the BCD entries for the Windows Boot Manager and loader so that "device-locate" designates a path which (it seems) points to a file or location in the Recovery partition in a way which then prevents the boot loader from working in the normal way to enable a dual boot setup.

So I really would like some sort of comment from Lenovo experts on how to reconfigure or work around this Lenovo customisation of the Win7 BCD.

Any offers?  I can post up a screen grab of the full BCD entries if someone is willing to explain what Lenovo has done to them.......

Options

5 Posts

02-15-2019

GB

17 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2019-03-29, 0:12 AM

More than a month, no responses. 

Is anyone there?  Is this forum dead?  Is support non-existent?  Where are the moderators and the Lenovo people?

Am I wasting my time even posting on here?

Options

5 Posts

02-15-2019

GB

17 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2019-04-02, 10:45 AM

Well, after all these weeks, not a single helpful response from anyone on this forum.  Very disappointing.  I had hoped for at least some reaction.

I have however managed to solve the problem thanks to some very constructive advice from members of other forums, and a useful program called EasyBCD.

I rather suspect I shall not be visiting this forum again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete